The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.centredaily.com/2010/02/07/1777462/permit-law-changes-could-cost.html

Permit law changes could cost county

Anne Danahy

When someone asks Ken Hanson with the Buckeye Firearms Association where to go for a Pennsylvania firearms license, he points them to the Centre County Sheriff’s Office.

“I know from experience that Centre County has a professional operation and gets the license turned around,” said Hanson, legislative chairman of the Ohio group.

The reputation draws thousands of out-of-state applications for licenses to carry concealed firearms into Centre County each year — and thousands of dollars in revenue for the county.

>But that money will likely dry up in 2011 when a state law aimed at standardizing and modernizing Pennsylvania’s licensing takes effect.

According to the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency, <u>one change will be that gun owners applying for Pennsylvania licenses to carry will have to appear in person to have a photo license created and sign for it.</u>

The commission is implementing the system, under the 2005 law, with state police and the Pennsylvania Sheriffs’ Association.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
We had that in effect in Berks and we have it in Susquehanna too. Signature and photo on license.

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same here. No personal appearance and photo, no LTCF. I've always just let the sheriff's dept. take my photo while applying.

They are PA/LTCFs. If someone from another state wants one, let them come get it. Reciprocity with all other states would be nice, never gonna happen with NY and a few others. At least not until their political climates change.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
I agree..no sweat from my headband

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Tell ya one thing that melts my earwax........

A cop from NY State can carry in PA, but I cannot carry in NY.

No reciprocity should mean just that, no reciprocity, I don't care if you're the governor of NJ. NJ does not recognize my right of self defense, a basic human right, why should we recognize ANYONE from one of these state's, governor, cop, dogcatcher. Matters not to me.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Lancaster has had photo requirements for quite sometime - as long as I have had my LTCF, and that's been over 20 years. First picture was stapled to license, then they got the fancy machine like the drivers license places had. so now you get your picture taken and card right away.

·
Super Moderator
7,776 Posts
Berks does it at several locations now. It's really pretty painless. Go in, give them the app, wait about 5 minutes, get your pic taken, sign, they hand you your permit, and off you go.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
In Franklin County is takes a few weeks, but after they send you the postcard, you go in, take a pic and you're done.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I was refering to a renewal, it might be a few weeks if it's a new license.

·
Super Moderator
4,590 Posts
In Allegheny every application is treated as a new license with the current sherrif.Fill out the application wait up to 6 weeks.Then $25 for the license plus $13 for parking your good to go.Yes sir you have to go to Pittsburgh to have your picture taken on a weekday so you lose time from work as well.Westmoreland county has a van/truck that travels around so you can get it done close to home or work.

·
Registered
671 Posts
wytetail said:

No reciprocity should mean just that, no reciprocity, I don't care if you're the governor of NJ. NJ does not recognize my right of self defense, a basic human right, why should we recognize ANYONE from one of these state's, governor, cop, dogcatcher. Matters not to me.
I remember a while back, 10 or 15 years ago a NJ state trooper was arrested for chasing a car over the bridge on Rt 80.
Not quite sure what the details were though.I think it was a girl friend he was trying to stop.
Has this changed?
I am aware of a case where the NJ state police tried to pull over a car, in Easton , off of rt 78, the guy fled , the staties shot at or him, but that was in the course of duty.
Are the other SP agencies allowed to just wonder in pa packing?
I would like to here from some members that live next to state lines, ohio, west V, ny, ect.
Roland.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
roland45 said:
wytetail said:

I remember a while back, 10 or 15 years ago a NJ state trooper was arrested for chasing a car over the bridge on Rt 80.
Not quite sure what the details were though.I think it was a girl friend he was trying to stop.
Has this changed?
I am aware of a case where the NJ state police tried to pull over a car, in Easton , off of rt 78, the guy fled , the staties shot at or him, but that was in the course of duty.
Are the other SP agencies allowed to just wonder in pa packing?
I would like to here from some members that live next to state lines, ohio, west V, ny, ect.
Roland.
LEO and qualified retired LEO can carry in all states. The law is a few years old now...

Chasing one's ex Girlfriend over state lines fails for a whole bunch of other reasons, mis-use of authority, etc.

·
Registered
646 Posts
DennyF said:
Same here. No personal appearance and photo, no LTCF. I've always just let the sheriff's dept. take my photo while applying.

They are PA/LTCFs. If someone from another state wants one, let them come get it. Reciprocity with all other states would be nice, never gonna happen with NY and a few others. At least not until their political climates change.
HB1717 requires a photograph that is compatible with the "Commonwealth Photo Imaging Network."

Now what is compatible? A digital image? A Passport photo? If I can get a US passport by simply going to the post office, why should the PA system be any more difficult?

Last time I checked we were a "shall issue" state. Anybody not prohibited will be issued a license. Are they deliberately creating a more onerous system just to make it more difficult to get a PA LTCF; to reduce the number of licenses issued?

Pike County Sheriff Philip Bueki said while some counties already issue permit cards with photographs, most of those systems won’t meet the state regulations that are being implemented. Bueki is the Pennsylvania Sheriffs’ Association representative on the advisory committee that is helping the state implement the new system.

He said the changes are a question of safety and security. That means presenting an identification in person. Out-of-state mail-in applications, he said, are “going to come to a screeching halt.”
If I don't have to go to DC for a passport why should I expect to require a non-resident to come to PA to get there photo for a LTCF? Other states have digital cameras, notaries, signature pads,and even take your fingerprints if need be.

Requiring a non-resident to appear in person is just obstructing the process.

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our sheriff has always required a current photo for the LTCF (I just let them take it); Photo ID (PA Driver's License); And has always done a background check.

It normally takes about two weeks, from application to issuance. You apply in person and pick it up in person.

I have no problem with that process. Do have a problem with "mail order" LTCFs, or sheriffs that issue them the same day you apply. Or any sheriff that does not follow the regs for issuing them.

The good ol' boy system is fine, as long as someone not qualified to have an LTCF, gets one anyway.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My first time visit to the Luzerne County Courthouse Sherrif's office for an LTCF wss in 2006. $20, PAdriver's license, completed application.

15 minutes later I was on my way out the door with a newly issued LTCF with my picture on it.

I believe the same holds true today except the cost has increased to $31 and they require the signature of each reference you provide.

p.s. - I know for a fact they did not check my references because no phone calls were made while I was there.

I guess every county is different..

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
in and out the same day....one phone call on their part and out the door i went.

·
Registered
743 Posts
25 dollars
mail in application
wait a week
goto pitt courthouse
sign a paper
take a picture
walk out the door
easy enough in my opnion

·