The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Galeton Fireworks, Colton Point SP, Leonard Harrison SP, Maybe do the Turkey Path at Harrison SP, the rail trail on a bike from Ansonia on down is pretty. Barbour Rocks Trail off Colton Point Road is easy and a nice vista.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The Galeton Fireworks are great and should not be missed. If you like walking around town Wellsboro is nice and the Pa lumber museum is not far on RT 6.

·
Registered
982 Posts
It's been since the 70's since I've been up there but if canoeing or kayaking is your thing you’re in the right spot, hang out at Barbour’s Bend on Pine Creek and watch the canoes and kayaks come through and count the number that flip over. You could fish anywhere on the creek or Slate Run is good (I believed its delayed harvest). If hiking great trails all around. Two good trails are the West Rim Trail and the Black Forest Trail. I’ve hiked on the Black Trail Forest Trail and I believe, except for the AT is one of the nicest trails in PA. Go to “Pine Creek Outfitters” to get some other ideas.

·
Registered
212 Posts
if you get the chance, take a trip to hyner view state park. best view in PA. there should be people hang gliding. really cool. i usually stop up there over the 4th holiday.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
cdogedoger said:
if you get the chance, take a trip to hyner view state park. best view in PA. there should be people hang gliding. really cool. i usually stop up there over the 4th holiday.
Yes. Hyner is a bit of a ride from the grand canyon but the hanggliders are something to see. We go there every year on Labor Day weekend just to watch them. We sit for hours and just watch. It is really cool.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Michaux Hunter said:
It's been since the 70's since I've been up there but if canoeing or kayaking is your thing you’re in the right spot, hang out at Barbour’s Bend on Pine Creek and watch the canoes and kayaks come through and count the number that flip over. You could fish anywhere on the creek or Slate Run is good (I believed its delayed harvest). If hiking great trails all around. Two good trails are the West Rim Trail and the Black Forest Trail. I’ve hiked on the Black Trail Forest Trail and I believe, except for the AT is one of the nicest trails in PA. Go to “Pine Creek Outfitters” to get some other ideas.
Where is Barbours Bend on Pine Creek?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
troutbert said:
Michaux Hunter said:
I'm assuming he means the Owassee Rapids. Which isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Dutch said:
troutbert said:
Michaux Hunter said:
I'm assuming he means the Owassee Rapids. Which isn't as big a deal as it used to be.
Did the structure of the rapids change? Or did people get better boats?

I've boated through there. We stayed left and had no problem at all. It looked a lot more bouncy on river right, but not THAT bad.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
It has changed with all the floods Pine has had. Plus, the stream channel on the far left has been taking more and more of the stream flow from the original channel.

I believe 3 people have died in those rapids, but that was years ago. Last one was probably in the early 80's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts