The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to the PA Grand Canyon and Pine Creek this weekend. Look like the weather should be perfect.

Going to learn to fly fish on this trip, I am looking forward to this get away.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I will be heading up on Thursday for a 4 day camping and fishing trip. I have been doing this for the last 10 years, this year there will be 12 of us. We will be floating from Gaines into the canyon. Can't come soon enough.

·
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trip was great. Got there around 7 Friday night set up camp and just hung out by the fire. We floated and fished most of the day Saturday. Then just did some fishing and hiking on Sunday before heading home.

I learned to fly fish this weekend and while I'm certainly no master at it I think I got a pretty good handle on it. I caught some and I missed some but it was all about learning for me.

Sunday we went up to the viewing area and I took a ton of pictures up and down the canyon, it was pretty awesome.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Backwoods said:
The trip was great. Got there around 7 Friday night set up camp and just hung out by the fire. We floated and fished most of the day Saturday. Then just did some fishing and hiking on Sunday before heading home.

I learned to fly fish this weekend and while I'm certainly no master at it I think I got a pretty good handle on it. I caught some and I missed some but it was all about learning for me.

Sunday we went up to the viewing area and I took a ton of pictures up and down the canyon, it was pretty awesome.

Every time I'm there, we get to see the top of the clouds.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Just got back from our camping trip and had a great time as always. The fishing was great, my largest rainbow was 20 1/4" and we also had a 20" and a few 19".

·
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't been up since that trip, there were some low spots in the water even then but still able to float most of it.

Bugs I couldn't speak to, they weren't bad when we were there. Have a fun trip.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ended up hiking the West Rim Trail. Started Thursday afternoon and ended up Saturday afternoon. Took our time. Started from north entrance. The views at the vista's are fantastic up to the picnic area (northern end). That would be a great hike in the fall with the leaves changing. South end disappointed me. Not many views and the trail is in need of a lot of maintenance. Not sure who does that. Could hardly see the trail from the overgrowth. The trail is well marked though. Weather was great and no sightings of any deer or bear. Saw 2 small snakes and a couple turkeys. Over all had a great time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it! My youngest daughter and I will hike it in a few weeks.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Heading up on Friday, Camping with my wife and 2 youngest at Leonard Harrison. Haven't been there in about 20 years. Looking forward to seeing that fog in the valley!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
It was foggy in the valley Saturday morning. Our camp site at the picnic area vista (mile mark 16) was above it. It was neat.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Was up there this weekend. Stayed on Leornard Harrison side for the first time. Was a bit more built up then I preferred, camped right on top of neighbors. Oh well that's state park camping, although colton point sites are a bit more remote.

Hiked to the bottom saturday, and drooled over the river level for fishing. Passed a bunch of guys on the way back up carrying trout up. Great weekend, saw the fog in the valley at sunrise, love that view.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts