The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever floated down the Pa grand canyon before. I see a lot of folks put in at asonia and float down to Blackwell. Are there places to put in higher than asonia? Are there places to camp along the way. I am looking to do this end of April or beginning of May.

·
Registered
697 Posts
A few buddies and myself have been kayaking the canyon every year for the past 6 or 7 years. We usually go at the end of May or early June if the water conditions are good. We stay at a campgound in Gaines and put in there. There are many campsites along the stream but I think you may need a permit from the state if you are camping. We don't camp but see others that do. Good luck and have fun. It is a great trip

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info, i have a camp in blackwell, not sure if we are going to stop there or head down to camal or waterville area. How is the water towards the end of May, it gets pretty low at times.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Is there a river trail map of the canyon?

The BSA troop I am with is going to do Kinzu to Emlenton (107 map miles we are going a bit farther) in early June and we have done a lot on this strech of the Alegehenny, might want to branch out some.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was on a website yesterday that had a map of the canyon, I also did google earth and it had a pretty good map. I am probably going to call one of the state organizations and find out about camping on state forest. not sure of all the rules on that.

·
Registered
697 Posts
In the last few years there was only one year that the water was too low and one time the water was very high and we didn't go those years. The stream varies with rainfall quickly so it is hard to tell what the conditions will be like.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I did the trip back in the 70's with the boy scouts. Several areas to camp along the way; however that may have changed by now. I was up in the area hiking this September and water was real low. Last weekend my son just got done kayaking the Youghiogheny in Ohiopyle (above and below the falls). This summer he did the falls with a couple friends. I'll ask him about the grand canyon. If he has not done it I'm sure he will. He may be looking for others to do it together.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
There is a good DCNR campsite at Tiadaghton. I believe there is Porta-Potties, drinking water, and fire rings there. You should definitely plan on camping there. Check with the state forest folks.

Pine Creek Outfitters, along Route 6, does shuttles. Also, you can put in there. Nice folks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you want to go higher, you can put in at Galeton, right below the dam, near the sewer plant. Thats 13 miles of water between there and Ansonia. Once you meet up with Marsh creek, you turn south into the gorge. Tiadaghton is your next stop in the middle of the gorge. After that, it's Blackwell at the bridge.

Big D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How is the trip with decent water levels. We will have kayaks and a canoe or 2. Is it easy to navigate with a canoe?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've paddled Pine creek from Ansonia to Blackwell several times at various water levels; camped several days and just ran it for a day trip as well. Typically I put in at Marsh Creek, but I have put in at the outfitters just above the DCNR put in at Marsh Creek. They run a shuttle, for a reasonable price considering the price of fuel and the time it takes to run this shuttle.

Owassee is a solid class 2 rapid but it's short. It essentially is just a hard left turn. There's a rock on river left and river right that forces you to go in between. I consider it an easy rapid to negotiate. There are also some standing waves towards the end that can be rather large at higher water levels.

Owassee is very well marked. You'll know you're there when you see an island. The water splits both ways. Owassee is right, there's a straight chute to the left. At higher water levels you can run the left, only real challenge is some standing waves. I've seen this area have a lot of trees clogged up, so scout it before you paddle it. If you don't want to run the rapid, you can easily portage...If you do want to run the rapid but not interested in the risk of losing your cooler of beer, walk it all down the rail trail 1 or 200 yards pas the end of the rapid, then run the boat empty. If you do take a swim, you're gear will still be nice and dry.

You can run the creek in an empty canoe down to 1.8' on the cedar run gauge. I ran it a 1.85' last march in my Aluminum Grumman. The canoe is a rock magnet so I did do some walking. I ran it at 2' with my white water canoe, loaded for 3 days of camping with no problem. Also ran it up to 5'. It makes for a quick ride. If the weather is cold, dress appropriately since there is no easy way to get out of the canyon until you hit the Tiadaghton access area.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/3831/#main

1 - 17 of 17 Posts