The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

Can anyone tell me if the elk herd have their horns yet this spring?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I suspect they have begun to grow antlers. I'm judging that by the fact that they seem to be pretty much on the same schedule as whitetails, with some individual variation.

Steve.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Tom, Yes they do. My parents both work at the elk center. They said they had two bulls in there front yard at the house that both had a foot of growth on them.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I saw a couple of big ones a week ago, that had both brow tines, and the 3rd point starting, they had probably 2.5-3 feet of growth. They seem to run about a month or so ahead of the deer.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
A friend of mine just got back from camp in Cameron and he said they had two bulls in at camp on Saturday. He said they didn't have a whole lot yet but they are pushing antlers.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great news guys.

My dad is not doing well health wise, and wants to come see the elk, but wanted to wait until they have antlers. Hopefully I can make it up there in the next week or so with him.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Weve got a bull next to our camp thats going to be an absolute monster! his bases are huge already..hes very friendly though, not to afraid of humans

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
muss said:
Great news guys.

My dad is not doing well health wise, and wants to come see the elk, but wanted to wait until they have antlers. Hopefully I can make it up there in the next week or so with him.
Have a fun trip with your Dad & best wishes for his return to good health!

I have never visited there & is on my "to do" list!! Better learn whut one looks like in case im ever drawn for a tag! lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts