1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MEMORANDUM
Posted: January 29, 2013 02:23 PM

To: All House members

Subject: Dog Wardens Right to Carry - Stun Guns or Firearms (former HB 570)

In the near future, I will be re-introducing HB 570 from last session. This legislation will make it legal for dog wardens to carry stun guns or firearms. In 2008, the General Assembly extensively amended the Dog Law (Act 225 of 1982) and while most of the provisions related to regulating newly-designated “commercial kennels,” an important aspect of enforcement power was also removed. Our Secretary of Agriculture used to have the discretion to authorize properly trained dog wardens to carry firearms. At this time, a dog warden may not carry, use or possess a stun gun or firearm in the performance of his or her duties. Dog wardens are law enforcement officers and may encounter dangerous situations where a stun gun or firearm is the best and safest means of protection.

With this in mind, I plan to re-introduce legislation to restore this authority to the Secretary of Agriculture. With the approval of the secretary, dog wardens would have to have both proper certification and training in the use of stun guns and firearms in the performance of his or her duties.

Please join me in supporting our dog wardens by giving them the protection they deserve!

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legi...;cosponId=11388

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't think that checking dog licenses and picking up strays requires a gun. OR is this a way to get more people included in the "brown shirt brigade" under DHS?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Dog wardens do not deal with strays or licenses, at least in this area. They are tasked with handling "dangerous dog" complaints, and making sure "dangerous dog" owners comply with the restrictions/requirements placed on them.
They work under the Dept. of Agriculture, not anything associated with DHS.
IMHO, it would be about time they have the nod to carry some type of defensive weapon. At this time they have none.
Ever have a dog charge you? I have, it's no picnic.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
bus22 said:
Don't think that checking dog licenses and picking up strays requires a gun. OR is this a way to get more people included in the "brown shirt brigade" under DHS?
This shows how little you know about what State Dog Wardens do.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
bassnleo said:
Dog wardens do not deal with strays or licenses, at least in this area. They are tasked with handling "dangerous dog" complaints, and making sure "dangerous dog" owners comply with the restrictions/requirements placed on them.
They work under the Dept. of Agriculture, not anything associated with DHS.
IMHO, it would be about time they have the nod to carry some type of defensive weapon. At this time they have none.
Ever have a dog charge you? I have, it's no picnic.
Not to mentionan irate owner. I agree long overdue.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Anybody dealing in enforcement of laws should have the option to be armed. In my area some of these places got out of control dogs and the owners are no-good lowlifes, and if I was a dog warden and had to knock on some of these doors or go onto the properties, I would request a State Trooper or Sheriff for backup.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Any person who would harm or kill a pet will not think a second about doing that to a person. Dog Warden's deal with the worst low life individuals in society at times.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no issues if they are trained and qualified to state LE standards.

I have more of an issue with them being sponsored by the animal rights groups to get the jobs in the first place. These jobs should be available to anyone wanting them with training solely through the state with No involvement by the animal right group's.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Anybody dealing in enforcement of laws should have the option to be armed. Really????

My local zoning officer is a real howl at the moon fruit case. I don't think he could legally possess a gun.
Same for the sewage enforcement officer in the next townnship,

Not sure if the health inspectors who check restaurants for roaches should be armed.

Oh yeah how about the weights and measures inspectors. Armed folks measuring whether a gas pump is a drop short?

Around here the dog wardens specialize in writing tickets for loose dogs. If I had caught the one that drove through my wheat field to set a live trap for an alledged stray pit bull, I would have had her charged with ag vandalism. Left ruts 5 inches deep. There is no possible way that her job justified that kind of damage.

Volunteer humane officers, who get a weeks training on animal abuse should have guns? That is simply ludicrous.

·
Registered
24,784 Posts
The State would have to beef up training to considerably more than the 62 hours at present. In addition some wording would have to be changed in the current dog laws... which state a person convicted of a felony MAY forfeit the job of dog warden...

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The last Dog Cop that showed up here, definitly should not be carrying a Squirt Gun let alone a lethal weapon!! Puffed up Chest and loaded with the I am the Law attitude....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts