The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fox calling for about 35 years now and during that time I've been stopped and checked many times by game wardens as well as local police officers. Always have been treated with respect and cooperated any way I could. Last evening my son inlaw told me a story I could barely believe let alone stomach. He decided to go fox calling a few nights back and took my grandson (10 year old) along for the first time. The first setup yielded nothing, we've all been there. The second setup he started calling, after about 4 or 5 minutes he noticed a spot light coming down a near road, didn't think too much about it. He was calling on a state game lands so that was nothing new. About that time a truck comes flying into the parking lot, out thru the field and comes right up to them as they were calling and out jumps the man.After some questions about lic. and so on. No problems there so he tells him to resume calling. Yeah Right!! Well, to make along story short. Two local police officers were called, sobritiy test done ( which he pasted by the way ) grandson crying in the truck. What a first experiance that must have been for him. I just stood there I couldn't believe my ears. I don't know were the warden thought he was going to go, theres only one way in and out. We're all about following the rules espeacally out there at night, but I think this was just crazy. Does anyone else think so or is it just me? It just makes my blood boil to think of my grandson's first experiance to be like that. Didn't mean to vent but I needed to talk to like- minded people

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
DWCO ! foul taste just saying that.

i never had one good experience with one. i would like to see them stricken from the books myself.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'd be having a long talk with his boss.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just alittle too fired up to let it go. I'll probably be making some phone calls come monday. Oh by the way MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY !!!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I think this goes to the issue of "probable cause" to single out an individual for a sobriety test. Road checks are random not specific. If the DWCO had no probable cause to order this then I think you have a solid case, otherwise I'd consider charges of harassment.

·
Super Moderator
1,747 Posts
I remember back in 1988 my brother and I were driving down a dirt road in doe season when a deputy warden was driving his car coming towards us when he turned his car infront of mine(blocking the road) jumped out and yelled PA Game Commission!!! He was in a uniform and he told us his name and that he was a deputy. He then saw that we had rifles in the back seat and asked if they were unloaded, which they were and we told him that. He then asked to see them. After he was done he got back in his car, backed up and let us pass and left. That is the only experience that I have had that I thought was unprofessional. All the other encounters which have been 3 with deputies and 5 with WCO's have been great.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Blueeagle said:
I'm just alittle too fired up to let it go. I'll probably be making some phone calls come monday. Oh by the way MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY !!!
There is no way I would be letting this go! definitely make the phone calls this sounds completely inappropriate.
oh and btw HAPPY BIRTHDAy

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Call the regional Office for your area:

Northwest Region

Butler, Clarion, Crawford, Erie, Forest, Jefferson, Lawrence, Mercer, Venango & Warren

814-432-3187
814-432-3188
814-432-3189

Southcentral Region

Adams, Bedford, Blair, Cumberland, Franklin, Fulton, Huntingdon, Juniata, Mifflin, Perry & Snyder Counties

814-643-1831
814-643-9635

Southwest Region

Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Cambria, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Somerset, Washington & Westmoreland Counties

724-238-9523
724-238-9524
724-238-5639

Northeast Region

Bradford, Carbon, Columbia, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Monroe, Montour, Northumberland, Pike, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Wayne & Wyoming Counties

570-675-1143
570-675-1144

Northcentral Region

Cameron, Centre, Clearfield, Clinton, Elk, Lycoming, McKean, Potter, Tioga & Union Counties

570-398-4744
570-398-4745
570-398-3423

Southeast Region

Berks, Bucks, Chester, Dauphin, Delaware, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh, Montgomery, Northampton, Philadelphia, Schuylkill & York Counties

610-926-3136
610-926-3137
610-926-1966

Specifically ask to talk to the Law Enforcement Supervisor.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Do you have a name on this Deputy? If he is out there in public harassing others and acting in this manner we should all be aware of who to watch out for.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have his name but I want to handle this the right way. I would like to talk to his boss first. Thanks everyone for the support and phone #'s

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
inthebubble said:
Do you have a name on this Deputy? If he is out there in public harassing others and acting in this manner we should all be aware of who to watch out for.
sounds like it could be Barney Fife,they should get rid of the deputies and train and hire more QUALIFIED wco's.people would be more accountable for their actions if the were an actual employee,not basically a volunteer.I can't believe people are doing this basically for nothing,using their own time,gas,and wearing out their vehicle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I posted a little story on the Gun Buy Back thread a couple weeks ago.
Had an "experience" with a local municipal cop when I asked him about accountability for the weapons that citizens turned it. Essentially he said that he was a cop and I did not need to concern myself about how guns were accounted for. After I posted that I got several "excited" responses from some fellow here who hold themselves out to be "Law Enforcement Officers" and that I probably insulted the professional ethics, blah, blah, blah... of the Officer.

Then I posted a factual story as reported on the Pgh local channels about a dirty cop who picked up guns from naive citizens and resold them as "cold pieces" or as the cops on here called them, Throw Downs.

If cops want they respect of citizens then they need to drop all this "Blue Wall of Officer Silence". As is written, Them that lay down with dogs will get up with fleas.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oops, almost forgot what I really wanted to post. Merry Christmas to all... I am heading to Florida, Will be back for Spring Turkey Season.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am proud to say again that most of my experiances have been favorable. They have a thankless job and really deserve our support but you don't have to be a pinhead to get the job done. JMO

·
Registered
822 Posts
Deputy Warden Wanabee's , Make sure You write a letter to everyone right up to Your Congressman (even though They are both useless) , He is likely a New Guy and His behavior has to be stiffeled right away , Sounds like He needs some more training , I bet that if He is identified to His Supervisors His demeanor will be mointered.
Just my 2c as retired Law Enforcement Personal , Some guys just can't handle a little authority , I have met many in my 32 years on the Job. Yes it is a thankful job but there is no reason not to be a Gentlman ,especially if children are present on the set.
Tom

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was just told, this guy was not a deputy but the WCO. I don't know how this guy got his position given his demeaner.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I guess that takes a little of the heat from this thread off the deputy force. I understand that people have problems with all types of law enf. but I have been doing it for over 12 years and so far the only complaints I have had about someone not being treated fairly were the guys who got large citations for things they should not have been doing.

I, and speaking only for the other officers I work with treat everyone with respect... but there comes a point where that ends if the guy pushes it to that point... we are only doing a job and I would prefer not to impact your day afield any more than i need to, to complete my job.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Blueeagle said:
I can appreciate your position, all I'm saying is it seemed to be an extreme way to check someone out.
My appolligies to all the deputies, my issues are with one man.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hey Blueeagle, Just noticed the cake, happy birthday.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts