The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The <span style="font-weight: bold">NEW CWD DMA Executive Order </span>is at this link:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/1329778/cwd_executive_order_2_pdf

Map of <span style="font-weight: bold">DMA 1</span> is at this link:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/1328561/cwd_dma1_pdf

The map of the <span style="font-weight: bold">NEW DMA 2</span> (Bedford Co Outbreak area) is at this link:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/1328562/cwd_dma2_pdf

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will try to get a postable version of the PDF of the order and the map images tomorrow.

·
Registered
353 Posts
This is cutting right through my business and many others (taxidermist and butchers)
They are saying "The pgc may designate approved locations outside of the DMA".. I hope this includes us, and people can still bring us deer taken from inside the DMA ?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA

PENNSYLVANIA GAME COMMISSION

IN RE: <span style="font-weight: bold">Chronic Wasting Disease Response #2</span>

ORDER

WHEREAS, Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) 1s an infectious and progressive
neurological disease that is found in, and always proves fatal to, members of the family Cervidae
(deer, elk or moose, and other susceptible species, collectively called cervids); and

WHEREAS, The specific cause of CWD is .believed to be prions (abnormal infectious
protein particles) that are known to be concentrated in the nervous system and lymphoid tissues
of infected cervids; and

WHEREAS, There are no known treatments for CWD infection, no vaccines to protect
against CWD infection, and no approved tests that can detect the presence of CWD in live
cervids; and

WHEREAS, CWD has been designated a "dangerous transmissible disease" of animals
by order of the Secretary of Agriculture under the provisions of the Domestic Animal Law (3
Pa.C.S.§§ 2301 et seq.) at 3 Pa.C.S.§ 2321(d); and

WHEREAS, CWD is known to be transmissible from infected to uninfected cervids by
contact with or ingestion of CWD infected or contaminated ceryid parts or materials; and

WHEREAS, CWD is of particular concern to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
because it has the potential to have a detrimental impact on both Pennsylvania's wild and captive
cervid populations; and

WHEREAS, the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture (PDA) and the Pennsylvania
Game Commission (PGC) have detected CWD in two captive deer in Adams County and York
County;_and

WHEREAS, PDA and PGC have also detected CWD in three free-ranging deer in
Bedford and Blair counties; and

WHEREAS, PDA and the PGC are signatories on the Commonwealth's CWD Response
Plan; and

WHEREAS, The Game and Wildlife Code (Code)(34 Pa.C.S. §§ 101 et seq.) and
regulations promulgated thereunder (58 Pa. Code §§ 131.1 et seq.) collectively provide broad
authority to the PGC to regulate activities relating to the protection, preservation, and
management of game and wildlife, including cervids; and

WHEREAS, 58 Pa. Code § 137.34 provides specific emergency authority to the
Executive Director of the PGC to take actions to mitigate risk factors and to determine the
prevalence and geographic distribution of CWD.

NOW THEREFORE, I, Carl G. Roe, Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Game
Commission, pursuant to the authority vested in me by the Code and regulations promulgated
thereunder, do hereby order and direct the following:

<span style="font-weight: bold">1</span>. Disease Management Areas (DMAs) are designated as set forth below. These
DMAs are more graphically illustrated on the maps titled "DMA 1" and "DMA2" and attached
hereto and incorporated by reference herein. <span style="font-weight: bold">Should any conflict exist between the below-listed
written boundaries and maps DMA 1 and DMA 2, the written descriptions shall prevail.</span>

a. <span style="font-weight: bold">DMA 1: Adams and York Counties, Pennsylvania, bounded and described
as follows:</span>

Starting at the intersection of I-76 and the west bank of the Susquehanna River heading south along the River (21.8 miles) to US Highway 30.

Westbound on US Highway 30 (18.3 miles) to Highway 116. Highway 116 towards Hanover (13 .7 miles).

In Hanover southwest on State Highway 194 (7 miles) to Littlestown, then northwest on State Highway 97 (9.7 miles) to Gettysburg.

In Gettysburg, north on State Highway 34 (14.3 miles) to the Idaville road.

East on Idaville road (4.8 miles) to the intersection of State Highway 94.

North State Highway 94 (2 miles) to Latimore road.

East on Latimore Road (1.6 miles) to Mountain road.

North on Mountain road (6.9 miles) to Dillsburg and the
intersection of US Highway 15.

North on US Highway 15 (3.2 miles) to the Yellow Breaches Creek (County Line).

Northeast along the banks of the Yellow Breaches Creek (12.1 miles) to the intersection of I-76.

East along 1-76 (6.4 miles) to the intersection of Susquehanna River and the stat1ing point.

b. <span style="font-weight: bold">DMA 2: Bedford, Blair, Cambria and Huntingdon Counties, Pennsylvania,
bounded and described as follows:</span>

Beginning in the Southeastern extent of the DMA at the intersection of US Highway 30 and Graceville Road, proceed north on Graceville Road for approximately 3/4 miles to the Raystown Branch of the Juniata River.

Follow the western shore of the river north for 28 1/4 miles to Lake Raystown.

Continue north along the western shore of the lake for 45 miles to Raystown Dam.

Continue north along the western shore of the Raystown Branch of the Juniata River for 5 3/4 miles to the confluence with the Juniata River.

Continue west along the southern shore of the Juniata River to the intersection with US Highway 22.

The DMA boundary follows US Highway 22 northwest for
12 1/2 miles to State Highway 453, then northwest along State Highway 453 for 9 miles to Tyrone.

In Tyrone, the boundary follows the western, southbound lane of Interstate 99 6 1/2 miles to State Highway 865 at Bellwood.

Follow State Highway 865 west 2 3/4 miles to Grandview Road (State Highway 4015).

Follow Grandview Road south 6.4 miles to Juniata Gap Road in Altoona.

Follow Juniata Gap Road 4 miles to Skyline Drive. Follow Skyline Drive approximately 2 miles to State Highway 36.

Follow State Highway 36 west 1 1/2 miles to State Highway
1015 (Cotipon-Gallitzin Road).

Follow State Highway 1015 south 5 3/4 miles to US Highway 22.

Follow US Highway 22 west for approximately 4 miles to State Highway 53.

Follow State Highway 53 south 6 1/2 miles State Highway 164 in Portage.

Follow State Highway 164 (Puritan Road) 6 3/4 miles to Diamond Lane.

Follow Diamond Lane 2 3/4 miles to State Highway 4035 (Blue Knob Road).

Follow State Highway 4035 south 1 1/2 miles to Blue Knob Road.

Follow Blue Knob Road south 3 3/4 miles to State Highway 869.

Follow State Highway 869 1 mile south to Burkett Hill Road.

Follow Burkett Hill Road 2.1 miles to Lovely
Road.

Follow Lovely Road 2.3 miles south to its Pleasant Hollow Road.

Follow Pleasant Hollow Road 3 1/2 miles northwest to Calvary Hollow Road.

Follow Calvary Hollow Road 2 3/4 miles to State Highway 56.

Follow State Highway 56 east 2 miles to State Highway 96 in Pleasantville.

Follow State Highway 96 south 10 miles to US Highway 30.

Follow US Highway 30 east for 20 miles taking the four lane bypass north of Bedford and Everett boroughs to the start of the description.

2. Except as follows, the removal or exportation of high risk cervid parts from the above described DMAs is prohibited. The PGC may designate approved locations outside of the above described DMAs for the receipt of high risk cervid parts.

3. For the purposes of this Order, high-risk parts or materials shall be defined as any parts or materials derived from cervids which are know to accumulate abnormal prions.

This includes any of the following:

a. Head (including brain, tonsils, eyes and lymph nodes);

b. Spinal Cord/Backbone (ve1iebra);

c. Spleen;

d. Skull plate with attached antlers, if visible brain or spinal cord material is present;

e. Cape, if visible brain or spinal cord material is present;

f. Upper canine teeth, if root structure or other soft material is present;

g. Any object or article containing visible brain or spinal cord material;

h. Brain-tanned hide.

4. For the purposes of this Order, high-risk parts or materials shall not include any of the following:

i. Meat, without the backbone;

j.Skull plate with attached antlers, if no visible brain or spinal cord material is present;

k.Tanned hide or rawhide with no visible brain or spinal cored material present;

l.Cape, if no visible brain or spinal cord material is present;

m.Upper canine teeth, if no root structure or other soft material is present; and

n.Taxidermy mounts, if no visible brain or spinal cord material is present.

5. All cervids killed within the DMAs are subject to CWD testing. This testing may require hunters to present cervids, or cervid parts, for checking and sampling at prescribed locations pursuant to conditions set forth in a forthcoming process. The process shall be made
known through public announcement, website and other means reasonably intended to reach the widest audience. The cost of such testing and reporting to the hunter to be borne by the PGC.

6. · The rehabilitation of cervids within the DMAs is prohibited.

7. <span style="font-weight: bold">The use or possession of cervid urine-based attractants is prohibited m any outdoor setting within the established DMAs.</span>

8. <span style="font-weight: bold">Direct or indirect feeding of wild, free-ranging cervids within the DMAs is prohibited. This prohibition shall not be construed to apply to normal or accepted agricultural, habitat management, oil and· gas drilling, mining, forest management or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">If otherwise lawful feeding is attracting cervids, the PGC may provide written notice prohibiting such activity. Failure to discontinue such activity is a violation of this Order. For the purposes of this Order, feeding shall include the act of placing any artificial or natural substance for the use or consumption of wild, free-ranging cervids on an annual, seasonal or emergency basis.</span>

9. No new PGC permits to possess or transport live cervids in the DMAs may be issued.

10. Except as follows, the possession and removal of vehicular killed cervids, or parts therefrom, from areas within the DMAs to locations outside the DMAs is prohibited. The PGC may designate approved locations outside of the above described DMAs for the receipt of high risk cervid parts.

11. The requirements and restrictions of this Order are to be construed as separate from and in addition to any previous or future Executive Orders concerning the importation of high risk cervid parts from areas outside of this Commonwealth.

12. This Order shall not be construed in any manner to limit the PGC' s authority to establish additional importation, exportation, possession, transportation or testing requirements on cervid parts or materials.

13. Nothing in this Order shall be construed to extend to the regulation of captive cervids held under 3 Pa.C.S. Chapter 27 (relating to the Domestic Animal Law) or the
requirements of a lawful quarantine order issued by PDA.

14. This Order is effective immediately and shall remain in effect until rescinded or modified by subsequent order.

Given under my hand and seal of the Pennsylvania Game Commission on this 25th day of March, 2013.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Why is this subject not being kicked around?No post from those in the know?I think this is more an issue than pro/con HR/AR,am I wrong?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To me, it is more of an issue than the deer more / less - deer program pro / con. Hugely more important and potentially truly damaging to the deer herd and deer hunting in this state.

To this point, no one has linked the outbreak to a deer farm.

To this point, the spread to this area from the Maryland outbreak area is or was suggested as feasible. That out of the March 20 PGC meeting in the outbreak area.

Yet, there is mostly silence on this issue.

For those wishing to understand just the spring dispersal issues take a look at these study results. Actually pretty interesting:

Click on links below -

Modeling the distribution of dispersal distances in male white-tailed deer

Forest cover influences dispersal distances of a habitat generalist, the white-tailed deer

Multiple proximate and ultimate causes of natal dispersal in white-tailed deer

Influence of roads, rivers, and mountains on natal dispersal of white-tailed deer

Then we still have all the outstanding issues known and unknown with the deer farms.

A of course, the seemingly uninterested attitude of the PA depart,emnt of Ag as the lead agency in the CWD response.

There is a lot to be aware of, and to be concerned about.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was at the meeting in Roaring Spring. The head veterinarian For the PGC didn't come out and say cwd came from deer farms, but he sure implied that it did.

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Personally, I think the disease is overhyped. Was here before the positive tests, is probably much more widely spread across this country than what is known to exist, CWD plans have been pretty much ineffective, and CWD plans will hurt our sport and industry more so than the disease itself.

All of the above are subject to change pending new information of course but that is my take on it for now.

Basic precautions should be utilized like careful processing and disposal of deer. Double containment fencing around deer farms and thorough oversight. etc...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't understand why the dept. AG is charged with leading the out break in the wild deer herd.Makes no matter how it got here,to late to point fingers.Your links show spring dispersal of male yr olds is near,wish some plan was in place to slow the spread.
Right now I hope Dmps is right and this is hype.I do know that there is no way I will take speceal care to butcher a deer I think could be sick and feed it to my family.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts