The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use it i have a Lymans Great plains rife, with a slow 1 in 66 twist, have been shooting round balls .490. Anyone have any experience with them? I like how you do not need any patches, just powder and put down the Conical.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I have killed deer with both conicals and RB's.With conicals you DO run the risk of having it slide off the charge.It DOES happen especially if you carry muzzle down.Results it is now an obstruction that will ring a barrel or worse.
You can use them.They kill deer.Use caution and check to make sure it is seated often!
I have found no difference in ability of either to kill.A deer will NOT live with a 1/2" hole in the heart or lungs!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what patches do you recommend for roundballs?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I just shot a few on Sunday in my TC PA hunter. The lube on them caused some real bad fouling and they wouldn't stay on the charge in my barrel. Just withdrawing the ramrod after pushing it on the charge would pull it off. I was testing it without the jag on the rod and it moved off the charge all 3 times.

I did shoot them but made sure the barrel was tilted so they couldn't slide off. Accuracy was 2x the size of the 3 balls I shot after. The fouling was horrible with the conical; really thick and hardly any with the patched ball.

If you use them keep an eye on it. I don't see the risk vs. reward of it.

I use .017 to .020 patches for ball. Each barrel will have a preference in ball size and patch size. Lube matters as well. Keep testing till you find what it wants.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Your Lyman Great Plains will probably like a .018-.020 patch and a .490 or .495 RB.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Geez, I've shot about 100 or so out of a Lyman GPR and never had one move while hunting, and I checked periodically. Never had one move at all. I could get about 4 shots before it need to be cleaned to be able to load, shooting 90gr 2F.

Guess I was just lucky.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I've never had one move either but I do wipe most of the factory lube off. There seems to be way more then needed on them from factory. Imho

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
My Uncle, when He lived out West, would put a couple in His Pocket to be used as a quick follow up shot if needed.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
That's the thing with muzzleloader barrels; they are not all the same exact size like centerfires are. Some are a little tighter bores than others. Were talking .001 maybe .002 difference. Just enough to make a conical fit snug and not move vs. too loose to stay on the charge. I wish mine were tighter but it's not so I use what works best and that's a ball and patch.

If they stay on the charge and give good accuracy use them. I can't from my barrel. People just need to be aware that if it doesn't stay on the charge it's dangerous. In the muzzle loader game more weight is the way to get more power and 240 grains vs. 177 grains is a good bit more thump.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I shoot a TC Hawken and Buffalo Ball-ets. Essentially the same as the PA conical (no longer made as far as I know).

I have shot deer with patched balls and the ball-et. I will continue to shoot the ball-et in the 50cal...

Why?

Penetration. I just wasn't seeing it with the balls. They killed deer. Never had much of an issue...but I don't think I ever had one exit...and blood trails were extremely spotty at best...

The Ball-ets are difficult to stop. I'm not sure if I've recovered any from a deer...

Last year one of the doe I shot...I was in a 15ft ladder stand..she was maybe 30yds away...quartering toward me hard..nearly facing me...I put the sight on the near shoulder and as I squeezed she took a step which turned her more quartering and less facing...

Bullet went in just behind the point of the shoulder...it came out between her rear legs..it then took out the rear left leg shattering it in the knee area...

That is impressive in my book...

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I used the Buffalo ball-et in 270 grains in my TC PA hunter and they stayed on the charge too. I can't find them anymore because the company was in California and the lead ban put him out of business. The were great on deer and yes the blood trails were outstanding compared to ball. They were a lot better than the Hornady ball-et in my opinion. I think the thicker base ring and the knurled sides made the difference in my barrel. Huge difference in blood trails. One deer I shot with one went a good seventy yards with a vital hit. I couldn't believe a deer could travel that far while loosing that much blood.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
I had someone tell me a trick, and it works, from my experiences. When using a Pa. Conical, another ball-et/minie, etc. that have a skirted/cavity design to them, give them a few whacks when seated on the powder.

If you whack the end of the RR a couple of times when seating them, or pop down on them with the RR, the lead skirt will spread a little and tighten them up.

GP bullets aren't as easily distored as a Pa. conical is, but a few good whacks will help a lot.

Or wrap a very thin strip of paper (of all things, rolling papers work well) around the side of the ballet when putting it into the muzzle. Might tear the paper a bit, but who cares.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Yep, I'd "thump" them till I got the rod to bounce slightly when it hit the proejctile and never had one budge.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Sometimes a ringed barrel will only be seen with a drop in bore light.Shows up as a dark circle in the bore.Other times you can feel a bump on the flats of the barrel.
I have seen both!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Use the PA Conicals in my CVA Mountain rifle with OUTSTANDING results. Never had one move forward. They shoot lights-out accurate. And I have yet to recover one from a deer. They ALWAYS have left two holes.

Like them enough to have bought 500 more of em after last season.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
410-er said:
Sometimes a ringed barrel will only be seen with a drop in bore light.Shows up as a dark circle in the bore.Other times you can feel a bump on the flats of the barrel.
I have seen both!
This is why putting reference marks on a ramrod is important. Then listening to what the reference marks say.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have a Lyman Deer Stalker (just bought a 2nd for my wife for Xmas). I've been shooting conicals for a LONG time (Hornady) and really like them vs patch/round ball but to each his own. Shot the new flinter today, right out of the box hitting 6" pie plates out to 50. I do agree w/ other comment about fouling. The connical lube can create some fouling after a few shots making it a bit "sticky" to reload. I've found for me the key is once it gets moving down the barrel, don't stop....keep packing it in steady. Try em out and see if u like em

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I was getting 3" at 50 yards with mine and thumping them down on the charge did seem to prevent them from moving. My RB load with shoot about 1 1/2" at 50 yards though.

Instead of the PA conical I bought a .54 Lyman Deerstalker and shoot patched ball. Bigger diameter and about the same weight. Seems to have hit last years deer pretty hard compared to the .50 balls.

·
Registered
461 Posts
my allturnative to the greasey mess on the pa conicals, is to cleanse them with wd 40, then put bore butter or some other lube on them, even track of the wolf mink oil, but coat them well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts