The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seeing any hard antlers yet? I haven't, but I did find a bloody buck rub on Saturday within 50 yards of my camera..... When do y'all start seeing them out of velvet?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mid to late September in my area of Clearfield County. Usually around the 14th if you were looking for something more exact haha. The elk here are starting to rub like crazy though. Gets your heart beating until you realize the rub goes 5 feet up a tree! Shouldn't be long now though.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well as I said, I did find a very fresh rub on Saturday here in 2F. Still had blood on the tree...… So hopefully i'll get some picks this year of some freshly rubbed antlers ( with shredded velvet ).

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I actually saw a rubbed spike around the 15th of august one yr. So it's on but I think the majority is after labor day.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
One farm we hunt runs early. Every year, third week of August we get several buck rubbed clean. Last year first picture was the 21st. Not first year either. 2-3 year olds
Mountain deer just a few miles away hold for upwards of another month!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I saw 2 in velvet sparring a week ago so they will be shedding soon

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Watched 9 bucks in a field last evening, all still in velvet... But they kept sparring and then each took a turn working over a scrape and lick branch at the field's edge.
One of the bucks was easily the largest 4pt I have ever seen! It's antlers had to be 2.5 foot tall! just no brow tines.... LOL

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I will start a new thread showing some pics from this week. One buck is rubbing his antlers and another has a bunch of branches and stuff in his antlers from rubbing a shrub or something!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts