The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANybody do any backpack. mountain bike hunting trips in PA? I'm considering one for next rifle deer season probably on SF ground for 3 days. Looking for any insight on do's, don'ts and gear. I'e done lots of BPing and MBing over the years but never in wintertime or a hunt.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
do what I did, start researching forums where guys do this frequently. colorado, alaska... this isnt common in the east and I dont know why.

especially when you hear... go deeper. i guess to some that means youre far enough when you run out of trail and cant see the truck. to me, that means over one mountain or two and 3/4 up the next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As far as gear goes.... I have done a lot of winter backpacking. Invest in a good 3 season tent. Alps mountaineering is high quality and a good price. You'll see lots of reviews on Amazon. Get a good bag rated for 15 degrees and a sleeping pad and you should be plenty warm for PA.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
This is something I do at college quite often. Either on Snowshoes or Cross County skis.

I carry a small winchester model 94 that can slip into the ice axe stap on my backpack.

A good tent is important, but more importantly is a good bag and sleeping pad. I carry a bag rated to 20, with a liner than can add another 10 degrees of warmth if needed. If it gets any colder than that, I have a -20 bag,but it is very heavy.

A good stove and water purification system are also important.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I got the gear already for the most part. I guess what I was really asking is if you are MBing in for a week, how do you haul your gear? Big pack, pannier bags and racks, trailer/sled? Not quite sure how to dress my bike.... And if you do wack a deer do you quarter it up then haul it out? I do realize the return trip out may take an extra trip or 2 if it comes to hauling a deer. I've been deer hunting an area accesible only by boat and a long walk for 15+ years so I'm no stranger to going off the beaten path but I typically can pack a bunch of crap into a boat then just backpack the last 2 miles in. MBing seems like it could be a lot more work and being able to take 1/2 the usual gear.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I carry a 105 Lt. mountaineering bag with a smaller bag inside for food. If we do get one, we zip tie a tarp around it and drag it out that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts