The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Guys and Gals, as I posted earlier in a today's event post, I finally was able to get a shot this year after close to 150 hours logged on stand. He's not the biggest deer for sure, but I am surely tickled with him. I take off the last week of archery every year, and had off through Monday. This past week I saw some nice bucks and one in particular on Wednesday morning that came running in after a calling sequence (estrous bleats, tending grunts, rattling and a snort-wheeze) and stood 25 yards away for 3 or so minutes and I never had shot in the thick brush (5 more steps and he would have been on my wall). As excited as I was to see the monster, it had me down a little and frustrated, as he was close, I just coudn't shoot (I could have forced it, but not me). I put in so much time this year, and starting yesterday I was getting pretty run down and a little frustated. It was very hard even getting up this morning, but I kept telling myself it could change any second. Well today, I had a button buck feed under me around 7:45, then a spike chase a doe and she then actually ended up chasing him (ran him off) 15 minutes later. Around 8:30 I turned my head to the right to look behind me, and there was this guy feeding in and occasionally sniffing. He was heading right into a 2o yard shot, and just stopped and fed on some brush and turned and started walking off the way he came (top corn field)...I was going to try a low-toned grunt, but something told me to just let him be....all of the sudden the wind changed and swept his direction and the estrous scent I had hanging got him...he sniffed the air for almost 30 seconds as it blew pretty steady right at him. He turns and walks right along the ridge into my hemlock, giving me a steep, 15 yard shot. He was quartering away sligtly and I aimed for his far leg (exit)....I saw my arrow hit and it didn't get the penetration I expected - - I watched him run off and some of my arrow and nockturnal was hanging out....I was a little worried and a little surprised....he headed up a hill (which made me worry more) but only got about 1/2 way and up and stopped dead for about a minute, then he takes a step and wobbles and just falls on his stomach (like bedding)...he sat there for about two minutes and his tail was flicking (which made me feel a lot better). He then rolled over on his back and all four legs were straight up kicking.....he rolls back over and slides and crawls down to a tree and wraps all 4 legs around it (watching this all in my binocs, trying to engrain the spot in my head in case he got another head of steam and tried taking off)....I watched him for about 10 minutes and then saw his throat start spasming and gurgling and all movement just stopped. I sat for another half hour just to be safe, and climbed down quitely, nocked and arrow and walked his way...he was done! Such a great feeling and awesome ending to a long year!! I was so relieved and excited. Upon skinning him tonight, it looked like my arrow deflected off the ribs upon impact (I am shooting an Elite Answer at 72 lbs, 50 grain brass inserts on Axis 340's and Spitfire Maxx broadheads)....and ran back towards his hind quarters? When I went to gut him, the arrow had punched a hole with his intestines sticking out on opposite side.....but it only got that penetration once he rolled over the arrow (because the impact didn't have that much penetration from what I saw). I will be dropping the Spitfire Maxx's for Ramcats next year - just a little skeptical after that lack of penetration). Here are the pics - again, not the biggest, but one heck of a buck for me at this point in the season. Thanks for looking and reading my story!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts