The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came down for my second trip Monday (25) and went to the spot where I had a hen fly to a tom last week...nada. Nary a peep from anyone as I hung out long enough.

Tuesday (26) I went to a different spot and, along with neither hearing nor being able to raise anything, almost sweated to death.

Today I went to an even different spot (all these Potter Co.) and heard nothing for the third day in a row. But the promising thing was that there was a good amount of sign...something had to be there. My experience is that when everything is quiet...nothing going on...you have to be laid back as well. So I set up in a good spot and started calling every so often...but not a lot. Well, at about 7:00 I ran another string of medium volume yelps and, voila, a gobble not more than 75 yards in front of me! I got lucky because there was a patch of brush between me and them...two longbeards. If the brush hadn't been there they would have seen me grabbing for my gun and getting ready. They were both in full strut walking sideways at about 30 yards. I eased the red dot to where they would come out from behind and killed the second.

Now...if I hadn't ran that string of yelps I'm relatively positive they wouldn't have gobbled and very well may have seen me...I was just sort of hanging out. Pretty much shock gobbles...caught them by surprise.

20.3#, .75" spurs, 9.5" beard

As found.

P.S. What surprised me is that in the seven days I hunted I neither saw nor heard another hunter. This being the Covid year I would have never guessed it.

·
Super Moderator
3,753 Posts
Awesome, congrats!

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Thats awesome, bud! Patience is something many turkey hunters do not have. It often pays off for those that have it.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a cool thing happen the evening before I scored on this guy. I was just standing there waiting either to hear a gobble and hunt or to hear a far off gobble and at least roost one.There was a huge oak about ten yards in front of me. Along walks a jake and flies up into it. I knew the exact sunset time and this was precisely a half hour before sunset...but with the leaves popping now they fly up a bit sooner than normal. It took him about ten minutes at least to flutter from this limb to that limb to the other limb until he found one that suited him and he settled for the night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts