The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Found what I believe are oysters. Not 100% but pretty dam sure. But if they are would you eat them being that they are that close to the road? All my books say don't eat any that grow by roads.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Those are definitely oysters and I'd kill to find that tree. Oysters are becoming a favorite of mine real fast

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh. Yeah that's what I decided they were. Didn't eat them though. Just drove past that tree the other day. They're still there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup the only reason I didn't try them was because they are right next to a main road.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
was driving home from an appointment on Cumberlands county Old Gettysburg Rd.. There all over the tree was oysters!!!:) Yep this warm weather is bringing them out now..

·
Registered
274 Posts
did a little looking this morning. found four trees with oysters. some were passed their prime but was able to salvage enough for couple dinners.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I generally saute them in butter. cut the stems off and where they attach to the shroom. this part is usually a little chewy. you can add these parts to stews and soups for flavoring.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Found some more this morning on my way to Morgantown. Homeowner gave us permission. She knew exactly what they were but said she didn't want any. After cutting them I insisted she take some. tried these deep fried in a light batter. awesome

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a grow your own oyster mushroom kit and two shiitake logs for Christmas. Can't wait to see how they are. But I can't imagine they are a good substitute for the real wild ones.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I found some on a tree while out the other day. They were frozen when I snapped a small one off to examine it. Does this affect them much when cooking?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Found these today. They looked soo good. Too bad I was out for muzzleloader and didn't have a way to carry them so I left them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
m=192 fyi, here's a pic of an oyster grow kit I tried. the largest shroom is about the size of a 50 cent piece. next pic is from a wild oyster I started on wheat berries. Each fruiting produced roughly 2 lbs. I had three so far and just birthed it for the fourth time. Keep us informed on how your kits go.to clarify, the grow kit had just one more fruiting and it wasn't worth keeping any. the one in the bucket is on its fourth, hopefully it'll be another good one.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool. Yeah I'm kicking around going down today and getting them. Maybe. We'll see how I feel when I get home. Haha

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Found some more today. Some where rough. The last ones were not to bad so I took a few better looking ones. Not to bad. Checked my kit today and they are sprouting!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Freebird any info on the bucket?? I have a basic understanding on how mushrooms reproduce. Did you just take a mushroom and set it on top so the spores got in there?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts