The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Growing out of some ash logs at the wood pile. I think they are oysters, but they are not exactly like I am use to.
On the other hand I have always heard any mushroom growing out of wood above ground is non-posionous/edible

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
you can see all three pics at the link. the yellow on is of the gills

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sure look like oysters to me. I wouldn't trust the idea that anything growing on wood above ground is edible. I think the Galerina grows on wood and will kill you. They look just like some ousters I found in June. I check everything thoroughly against three field guides before I eat it. Don't think there is much else that looks like an oyster though.

·
Registered
12,087 Posts
I was told that if growing out of a living tree, they are OK to eat, EXCEPT, for the two that can kill you. Frankly, that is why I don't partake.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
I was told that if growing out of a living tree, they are OK to eat, EXCEPT, for the two that can kill you. Frankly, that is why I don't partake.
I like that! In all seriousness that is how I feel as well. I'm lucky enough that a neighbor brings me stuff here and there. I would love to be able to have more(by finding them myself) but my lack of attention to detail keeps me from trying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts