The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is what happened or not but here is the issue. I got written permission from a farmer to hunt the lot of woods behind his house in the summer way before the season started and have been on the property several times and never had problems. I got my buck almost 3 weeks ago and I haven't been hunting since. Well I moved my trail camera that day over a scrape that was getting hit. Well when I go out today I noticed that there was a branch hanging near the camera and didn't think much of it when I saw it. I was just more surprised that the batteries didn't die and I had a good bit of pics. So when I got home I checked out the pics. The first pic is of the farmer on his tractor looking right at the camera. The next few sets of pics there is a branch with leaves right over the camera. Now I'm not saying that he put it over the camera but it just seems a little fishy that first I got a pic of him and then ones with a branch over it. I'm just confused as to why he would do that knowing that there is someone hunting his property that he gave permission to hunt??!! Sorry about the rant I just had to get it off my chest. If this needs moved by all means.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
he probably doest want the feeling of being watched when he's walking around. kinda weird to him im sure.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maybe the farmer doesn't like trail cams? One of the farmer that lets me hunt said he doesn't like game cams he doesn't think they are fair. So I do not use any cams on his properties. Instead I just stop into talk with him he always gives me the low down on game movement

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Might not want to look at this as a landowner problem. Owner may not want there to be pictures of him or his actions. Maybe rethink the trail cam option. You will learn more about the landowner as you help with chores etc. That time together will certainly help keep everything in the open.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean I have permission to hunt put tree stands up. Didn't really think I needed permission for cameras but I guess I should have asked to see if it was ok.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Yeah some people are weird about being on camera. Plus he may be old school and consider it cheating. My brother-in-law's dad went on a rant a few weeks ago about how trail cameras are cheating; along with treestands according to him LOL.

I would ask before next year just so you guys are all on the same page. If it's a good spot and he has problems with camera's I would have no problem leaving them at home.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Maybe you could show him all your photos and help put his mind at ease about things, he may be interested to see the deer that are there and some of the odd photos we all get while running cams.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Best to talk to the farmer about the camera. If he has a problem with it, don't use it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hey don't feel bad, I had one of my treestands stolen off of posted property that is my families property?!?!? I've got a pretty good idea who did it, as he's going to get a nock on the door sometime shortly for some questioning. The only people who have permission to hunt is family and 2 other guys that own the adjacent property. This guy just lives across the road and i'm pretty sure he tip-toes right out his drive way across the road and onto our property. My treestand was 150yrds up the hill across from his house in an awesome apple orchard (when apples are abundant of course), so hmmmmmmmm?

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Was the obstructing limb cut, broken, bent. I understand it was placed there?

Why hasn't there a picture during the placement?

Were there boots tracks in the scrape?

Anyway I would talk to the farmer and clarify his thoughts and go from there....why wonder what you have permission to do on his property?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
As a landowner I wouldn't want someone taking secret pictures of me either. You need to tell him that pictures will be taken of him on his property, probably apologize for the ones already taken, taking secret pictures of a person on their own property is a privacy issue. He's just being nice by covering it up rather than something more drastic. A person's property is an extension of their home, think of it as their backyard. You probably wouldn't appreciate a neighbor putting up a trail cam without your knowledge that was watching your backyard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts