The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone still have one of the overdraw bows from years ago and do you shoot it or hunt with it?

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Freepistol said:
Anyone still have one of the overdraw bows from years ago and do you shoot it or hunt with it?
Nope, but I had an early 1990's Pearson Spoiler years ago with a modest overdraw, 2" if I remember correctly; killed quite a few deer with it. Man, that was a hot bow for it's time. They came in single and dual cam, mine was the single.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I still have one all set up but don't use it any more. Killed alot of deer with it and won alot of 3-d shoots also. Jennings Machined Extreme XLR, shot 2213s at 23" around 280 fps.

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
Wonder what would happen if you put an overdraw on a current year bow? Think it would be faster?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Overdraw rests became popular so that archers could shorten their aluminum arrows, reduce their weight, and thereby increase their speed. It had nothing to do with the bow, whether it be old or new. Once carbon arrows became the norm, making the arrow lighter was not a problem, but just the opposite must be considered. You cannot make them so light that you void any warranty on the bow (shooting an arrow less than 5 gr./pound of draw weight). Also, the spine of an arrow is more easily manipulated with carbon arrows than they are with aluminum. If you shorten a carbon arrow below 28" of shaft length, you stiffen the arrow spine. If you shoot a shaft longer than 28", you are actually shooting an arrow that measures weaker than the spine listed on the arrow. An overdraw rest has pretty much gone the way of the no-peep.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Shooting a Jennings X-Master set at 65 lbs. that I purchased in '99. It has a 3 inch overdraw that I modified to 2 1/2 inch to stop the string from hitting the rear of the launcher.

I have a 32" draw length but with the overdraw and launcher, I am currently shooting a 29 1/2" arrow.

That allows me to use a bit lighter arrow and a 75 grain tip. Near perfect arrow flight with the Beman 340's. Very accurate and surprisingly quiet for a 17 year old bow shooting 308 fps over the chrono.

If I were to buy a new bow, I wouldn't even think about an overdraw but what I have works just fine so I have no reason to change it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts