The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a realtor that since we have an outhouse on our property, we are "granfathered" for the install of a traditional septic system (cheaper) versus a full modern system.

I am assuming if this is true, we can get holding tanks installed and drain to a leach field?

Any facts regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Camp is in Wayne county

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
blueridgehunter said:
Do not believe the realtor consult your SEO
^^^^THIS^^^^

Realtors say a lot of things....and they often don't have a clue.

I've been in very recent discussions with my SEO....I'm meeting him on Monday, actually, for a permit. I can tell you that since you have an outhouse you can get a 'replacement privy permit' should you need to rebuild it. Otherwise I'm fairly certain you need a perc test and then have to follow the rules set about by that.

Now if you had an existing septic system THEN you would be grandfathered in, but to what extent that entails I have no idea.

TALK TO YOUR LOCAL SEO!

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
As I recall from the 1972 Act, the only pass you can get is when you replace a house within a year, then you can hook up to the prior house's septic system without a permit, provided that it is the same size as required for the house. IS replace a three bedroom house with a 3 bedroom house. If you replace a three bedroom house with a 4 bedroom house, you may have to get a new septic permit.

Even gray water systems are no longer grandfathered if the water is discharged to the surface. Gray water discharged below the surface, into a french drain, etc is still grandfathered. By all means talk to the township SEO. There was an SEO for a nearby township here in York county that would lie to people about the new permit requirement just so he could get the fees to approve the systems. That SOB would get the fee for the perk test and then to approve the septic design when all he was entitled to, when a house was replaced, is a $25 hook up inspection. When caught, he suddenly needed to retire for health reasons, but he was never forced to reimburse people for the bogus costs and fees.

·
Registered
791 Posts
This is not true. This is what I do for a living. There are no grandfathered permits. Everything has to meet today's standard. The use of best available technology only applies to fixes to existing systems and normally only a stop gap until a testing and design is completed for a new system or a holding tank.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Just to clarify what Zimmerstutzen stated is true if you have an existing system and and existing house you can rebuilt the house and connect. What I was referring to is that an old outhouse does not grandfather you into a traditional septic system design. The design of the system is based upon the soils and the perc rate.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Pointing Lab said:
Just to clarify what Zimmerstutzen stated is true if you have an existing system and and existing house you can rebuilt the house and connect. What I was referring to is that an old outhouse does not grandfather you into a traditional septic system design. The design of the system is based upon the soils and the perc rate.
Thanks. I was going to ask you to clarify that as I was a bit confused.

·
Super Moderator
2,611 Posts
shadowhunter said:
I was told by a realtor that since we have an outhouse on our property, we are "granfathered" for the install of a traditional septic system (cheaper) versus a full modern system.

I am assuming if this is true, we can get holding tanks installed and drain to a leach field?

Any facts regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Camp is in Wayne county
It is my understanding the type of system depends on a perk and /or amount of land you own

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
When we were looking in to our system in Potter, I asked about holding tanks. I was told by the SEO that the state does not want holding tanks installed. The reason being that after a few years, and the cost of 1 or 2 evacuations, the owners usually punch a hole in it and create an unauthorized system with no regard to soil content.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Why do you think that all the old timers did a lot of moonlight septic work?
No fees, the way they wanted it, no [censored]! Not saying its right but it's true. And I know it still goes on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.