The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a kayak for Christmas and plan on doing a lot of fishing at a local lake. My question is, what do you do to outfit your fishing kayak?
Also, do you suggest a good fish finder? I'm looking into the Garmin echomap 43dv.

·
Super Moderator
23,761 Posts
I would fish it a few times before you do anything.

I did alot to mine before I even got it wet and now I don't use most of the stuff I thought I needed.

·
Registered
24,934 Posts
most handy thing I found is the dashboard I have a sit in and just having a little work/storage station is very convenient.

A rod holder, I carry an anchor but seldom use it. Ofcourse a light & whistle which are required. Along with PFD.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pa Teeny said:
what kayak did you get and where? Price? I have been looking
to buy one. Thanks
I got a Future Beach Mariner 124 for Christmas. Only paid about $130.00 for it at Dunham's. It's 10'4" long, 32" wide, 11.5" high, weighs 45 pounds and holds 300 pounds. It came with 2 rod holders. I would show you a picture of it but photobucket is giving me fits now.

·
Registered
213 Posts
timberdoodle said:
most handy thing I found is the dashboard I have a sit in and just having a little work/storage station is very convenient.

A rod holder, I carry an anchor but seldom use it. Ofcourse a light & whistle which are required. Along with PFD.
I plan on getting a pelican catch 120 here in the next month or so. But I thought a pfd and whistle are required and a white light at night. But I'm not sure I'm new to this kayak stuff.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Leashes! Leash everything you want to keep, especially your rods if you run expensive equipment. You will tip over sooner or later, it is pretty much a guarantee. And when you do, don't panic! Swim back to your kayak, hold on and gather your senses. Read up on some safety techniques and if you can, take a course. Until you dump it, you'll never have full confidence. I speak from experience
and actually am glad I went through the experience.

I personally felt a fish finder was needed for me. I am a trout fisherman and know that and streams well but lakes are foreign to me. I believe it will help my learning curve. At least if I know I am on top of fish, I know it's me that isn't getting it done rather than just saying there aren't any fish in this lake.

·
Registered
215 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold">I second the lights on at night!</span> We run jet boats on the river in the summer lows. That being said, we are running 15-20 mph to keep the boat on plane. Nothing like getting to the shallowest part of the riffles and someone turns on their flashlight when your on top of them. My boat has a few holes thanks to those who chose not to use lights. I tried to be nice and shut down in the shallow water. Never again....

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'm in the same boat ( pun intended ) . Just picked up a Field & Stream Talon . Other than a better seat that was ordered extra at the time of purchace , it's all stock . I had it on the Clarion river on Sunday for it's maiden voyage . It work fine other than being a little tippy for a fishing kayak . I'll probably add pontoons before a serious fishing excursion . Attaching a work console to the pontoon bars sounds like an excellent suggestion !

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
jonsie said:
I second the lights on at night! We run jet boats on the river in the summer lows. That being said, we are running 15-20 mph to keep the boat on plane. Nothing like getting to the shallowest part of the riffles and someone turns on their flashlight when your on top of them. My boat has a few holes thanks to those who chose not to use lights. I tried to be nice and shut down in the shallow water. Never again....
I actually witnessed that insanity while night fishing from the shore at lake Arthur . I could see a low shadow in the moonlight crossing the lake while other boats were zooming around at full throttle ! I checked the laws and couldn't believe it was legal . A kayaker would have to have a suicide wish to do that at night without lights .

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Maybe a little more than necessary but here is how I have my Jackson Coosa set up.....it will do everything. From rock solid standing bass boat style lake duty with the pontoons attached to river fishing as more of a transport vehicle with them off.
I know some guys can stand and fish without the help of pontoons but I'm not 1/2 cat.
LOL I'm 6'3" and 265lbs and with them attached I can fish with the stability of standing on a bass boat. (The folding standing bar really helps too)
The pontoons also help when trying to fish BIG water like the Chesapeake when a heavy wind kicks up and you are staring at waves.

Conversely I've stripped it down and done Whitewater on rivers like the Lehigh just for fun.

Maybe these pics can give you some ideas.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Matt / PA said:
Maybe a little more than necessary but here is how I have my Jackson Coosa set up.....it will do everything. From rock solid standing bass boat style lake duty with the pontoons attached to river fishing as more of a transport vehicle with them off.
I know some guys can stand and fish without the help of pontoons but I'm not 1/2 cat.
LOL I'm 6'3" and 265lbs and with them attached I can fish with the stability of standing on a bass boat. (The folding standing bar really helps too)
The pontoons also help when trying to fish BIG water like the Chesapeake when a heavy wind kicks up and you are staring at waves.

Conversely I've stripped it down and done Whitewater on rivers like the Lehigh just for fun.

Maybe these pics can give you some ideas.

Great set-up Matt!

After a few trips on mine out to some local lakes the two things I really could use.
First, a much more comfortable seat! After sitting for about 4 hours it gets a little rough.
Second, I really would like a fish finder to help locate bottom structure and fish.

For those of you who have fish finders on kayaks, how did you mount the transducer?

·
Super Moderator
23,761 Posts
I used clear silicon caulk. Very easy and works fine.

As for a seat I like to get out on shore every so often.

·
Registered
24,934 Posts
I'm limited to 3-4 hrs. Any more than that and I'd never get out of the boat. They would have to bury me in it..
As it is, it takes me a bit to get the legs moving again after sitting for a spell. Restaurant, kayak, car, log...makes no difference on the seat to me... just takes a bit to get the wheels goin!

Besides that, 3-4 hours of fishin is about all I can stand anyway. Makes no difference if I'm standing or sitting or walking along a stream, if the fish are biting or not...3-4 hours is enough for me. And if the wind is blowing...between the kayak and the fly rod ..color me gone .... just like the movie

(Gone with the Wind, for the younger readers
)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts