The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a 2001? 15 hp Suzuki. I'd like to replace it with a new 20 hp. Is it common for dealers to accept trades on motors this small? It runs but could use some carb work. I doubt many people would want to buy a fixer-upper but maybe a trade would be possible.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
What the dealer is going to give you isn't worth the consideration. You would do better selling it off Craig's list or E-bay.
Last 2 sets of outboards I replaced that's how I got rid of them. Last was a pair of 200 Yamaha's and the one had a spun shaft. They sold separately but both were gone within a week. I got almost 3 times what the dealer was going to give me as a trade on 2 new 200 Mercs.
Just be honest with the condition and you should be fine. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Last time I traded in a motor was in 1987. I had a motor that needed repair and asked the repair shop/dealer how much for repair. He said a couple hundred. I asked how much is the motor worth if I fix it. He said a couple hundred. I asked how much you give me on a trade. He said a couple hundred. I traded.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Springer, often the difference between a 15 and 20 hp moter is the carb. Maybe an option is to get a new carb.

·
Super Moderator
4,576 Posts
I wanted to trade my 2011 20hp to a dealer but it's not worth it....better off to sell it outright, then purchase from a dealer.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
For $50 rebuild the carb and run it until it dies. Motor is 14+ years old maybe a couple hundred bucks trade in if your lucky.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. With the Suzuki the 15 and 20 are different motors but I am pretty sure Mercs are just different carbs.

I will probably just do the carb work and see how it does. I am just tired of fixing it. I am at the point where a lot of my equipment is getting old and I am tired of fixing it. Some of my stuff is broken more than it is working.

Thanks for the suggestions. For $200, I'd keep it as a back-up. I just ordered some parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts