The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an old Force 9.9 outboard....had it at the repair man last year and he got it running well. Used it 1X last year ran the gas out of it.

Went up the river last week and it wouldn't.

The boy and I replaced the spark plugs, put new gas in the tank and thought the issue was the kill switch.

Ordered a new one, (two terminal like the old one), and when it came in it was a four terminal.

Hooked it up, pull, pull pull......doesn't seem to be getting spark.

I have a volt meter and when I get some help (or grow a third and fourth hand) will try to make sure the kill switch is letting power through.

Carb cleaner into the carb.

What have I missed?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Did you check the fuel filter? Sometimes when you run the tank out of gas you suck dirt off the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did actually.... and I meant that I pulled the external gas tank connection and let it run out. Appreciate the response.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
We did actually.... and I meant that I pulled the external gas tank connection and let it run out. Appreciate the response.
There should be a fuel filter under the cowling of your engine where the fuel line goes into the engine. You screw off the connection and you can clean and replace the filter.

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
Are you getting fuel? Could the bulb or the fuel line connectors be leaking?

Hook your fuel line to the tank. Leave the connection off the engine. Pump the bulb until hard. If the bulb doesn't get hard that might be your problem, an air leak. Let the line sit for a few minutes and then point the connector in a safe direction and push the ball check valve in. Fuel should squirt out under pressure. If it doesn't you have a pressure leak. It could be the bulb or one of the connectors. There are small "O" rings on top of the check ball. Sometimes you can see air bubbles leaking past the O ring. There should be no leaks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My father taught me the wrong way to find out if you are getting spark. Simply tell your son to hold the spark plug and you pull start it. HE WILL KNOW RIGHT AWAY IF THERE IS SPARK!! HAHA!!

(JUST A JOKE - DO NOT DO THIS!!)

·
Super Moderator
5,201 Posts
Ground the spark plug ( might need to use a jumper wire to get it to frame ground ) , try to start while someone watches for a spark from the plug.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neighbor got this running but adjusting the gap in the spark plugs to less than what they came from the factory at.

Thanks for all the replies......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts