The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking for a new vehicle that is semi economical, AWD, and has decent space I have settled on either a newer generation Highlander or a outback. I have owned several Toyota’s so I am not really all that concerned about reliability or anything like that. With the Subaru it looks like many of the issues are resolved and are now limited to their 4 cylinders and CVT trannys. Does anyone own an outback with the 3.6 and auto tranny? Looking for some feedback as to reliability, how they do on the snow, cargo space, and towing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have a 2011 Outback with the 3.6, 120k miles. Very reliable so far. Exhaust pipe has a rust hole in it and the replacement unit includes 2 catalytic converters. That will be expensive. No other issues except tires & brakes.

Snow performance is quite good but that depends a lot on the tires. We have Michelin a/s radials. Expensive but MUCH better than the original equipment tires.

Found the same thing with the 4Runner that preceded it. I liked that vehicle a lot but it turned into a service science project at 120k miles. Cost me $600 every time a dealer tried to solve the issue. I unloaded it and got the Subaru. I’d get another. The 4Runner has more cargo volume and towing capacity. Probably better off road as well.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info silentdog. I run a dedicated set of winter tires on all my vehicles so I’m aware of what a world of difference tires can make.

Have you ever tried towing anything with it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts