The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Out for the first time Sat.

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  cope 
#1 ·
Have had a busy holiday season, with all the relatives and a new job, I hadn't been able to do any hunting...
A friend called me yesterday and wanted me to come over for the last couple hours of daylight and hunt a cornfield.

I grabbed my stuff and Flew over there!

Got back to the edge of the corn, fresh tracks everywhere! Picked a spot where the wind was good(wind was gusting at 25-30mph and snowing like crazy) and set up. Didn't expect to see much with the weather, but was happy as could be. Loaded up the PA pellet, and set in. After a while my buddy texts me and asks if I'm ready to go yet? I said "heck no, give it a few more minutes... That's all it takes" He agreed.

Not 2 minutes later, 3 BIG does come bouncing to the field, 35 yards away from me. I waited for them to stop and start feeding. Put the sights on her and, POP. sounded like only one of my pellets went off? Shot right under the first one.
They go over to my buddy and I can hear his gun clicking away! Wouldn't go off! Finally his goes off and they run to 45 yards in front of me again!
I had reloaded and lined up again. BANG! this time she went off right! BUT I SHOT OVER HER BACK!!!! So they Run back to my buddy again! They just start feeding like nothing is going on at all! He reloads and I can hear the clicking again! Finally Boom! He missed again! They go to the far end of the corn and disappear.
He walks over to me, and we just start laughing.... We were cracking up at how poor a shot we both were at live targets!...
We decided not to load back up as it was getting close to quitting time.
As we are walking out here they come into the corn again about 55 yards away!!!! And we never reloaded! So we scramble to load up.. My fingers were burning so bad from the cold I thought they fell off. My buddy's hollering he can't feel his thumbs. At his whining, they look at us and finally have enough. They blow at us and bound away.

I didn't get anything, but it doesn't get much more exiting then that!!! Clean misses no wounded deer...
I had a AWESOME hunt... Love them flinter's!!!!!

A side note, as we headed to the tractor we drove back to the spot, the does went back out to the corn again

See less See more
#5 ·
Sounds like one evening here last year. A buddy and I were flinting in the afternoon. I said we should go to a field where they cross a stream in the evening. We walked there and not 2 minutes later we had 3 doe at 80-90 yards eating. Let's just say my buddy killed the doe after we took 7 shots and they never moved!!! Now that's fun!!

#14 ·
Me and a buddy were talking at work about deer not taking of at the shot of a muzzleloader. It seems like they are not sure of the sound or something. My nephew had that happen to him last saturday. Shot and they stod there, shot again and they stood, then had 3 miss fires, after that he gave up.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.