The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out at 3am with my father-in-law to grab our spot. Not that we have to, it's just tradition I started when married into that family. Put the chairs out and back in the car til 7:30, when we decided to get out. No sign of another angler. My wife brought my 7 yr. old son shortly thereafter. She said nobody anywhere else on her drive over.

My son got and released 7 by 9:15, and he was pretty miserable, cold, hungry, etc. After a stop for breakfast at the local diner, I asked if he wanted to go back out to a different stream for an hour. To my utter astonishment, he said yes! Went to a prime spot which would normally be full of guys, but was totally devoid of human life, but not fish. My son caught and released 11 in about an hour, mostly all nice brookies. Total for the day a respectible 18 for him, I did not wet a line, as was the plan. Drove by a few streams on the way home and literally nobody home. Anywhere.

Wonder if this MY day will have the reverse effect the PAFBC planned. Since many guys buy a license and fish the first day only, will they now not, thinking this MY day will put a hurting on the fish, when in fact the opposite is true. Time will tell.

Weather definitely played a big role in lack of crowds, but it was nice and we even had some snow flurries to make it very picturesque.

Gotta love troutin'!

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Congratulations for getting your son out to fish. Sounds like a great time that I'm sure he will always rememeber.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Glad you had a great time. I kind of wish they did this mentored youth things a few years earlier, maybe might have sparked an interest in fishing from my son. He's 16 now and we used to fish quite a bit in our old pontoon boat in Glendale lake when we camped near Prince Gallitzin and he caught plenty of fish but has 0 interest in fishing and hunting now. It makes me sad but unfortunately that's the trend of youth today.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Good for your kid, nice job. A respectable 18 trout though, what the heck is that supposed to mean?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RyanR said:
Good for your kid, nice job. A respectable 18 trout though, what the heck is that supposed to mean?
Could easily have been at least double that, so 18 isn't too bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts