The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we took the curs out with Don Jacobs of WNEP's PA Outdoors and didn't get a squirrel. All we got were den trees. Funny thing is we decided to kick some brush up for rabbits. I jumped a rabbit and told the dogs to get it and they did. They brought that rabbit right back. We ended up seeing 4 rabbits and getting 3. We saw two of them twice. Now I know they aren't tree game but that was fun and at least we got something. Never in either of the dogs lifes have I rabbit hunted with them. I always stay in the mountains and trees. It is something how I told them to get a rabbit and they just did it. Now I know I probably will catch some flack for this from tree doggers but it went real well. If I were in a competition hunt I would get minused for that. That is what these dogs were originally bred for- to hunt anything. They helped the settlers survive to settle our country. Just goes to show how versitle a cur is, their desire to please, and their prey drive. It will probably air next Sunday. This Sunday's show is already done. He is going to let us know for sure when it will air.

For anybody that wants to know Don Jacobs is a great guy and real down-to-earth. I really enjoyed hunting with him. He is a knowledgabe guy and a pretty good shot. His cameraman Brian (sorry I forget his last name) was a real good guy also and fun to be with. He sure was in the right spots for the shots. I really did have a good time and didn't really feel any pressure at all. It was just like hunting with any normal guys that you enjoy getting out in the woods with. Hats off to Jake and Brian.

Not sure where to post this, in this forum or the hound forum. Moderators can move this if they would like to. Don't know how you guys want to classify curs. They are like hounds, they do a lot of the same jobs just a different style and not usually near as cold nosed. They will hunt birds if you want them to hunt them and some folks have used them to retrieve.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am the ugly one on with the shotgun, of course Don Jacobs is in the middle, Bob Kindon is the gentleman on the other side. We had a good time.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
do you have problems with those curs trashing on game your not after?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
No I never had any trouble with them trashing anything. Just some treedog purists might not like that I let them run those rabbits. I told them to do it. It is the first time they ever did. If I would have discouraged them they would have likely left them alone. Actually I was really suprised. Thinking about taking them out in a spot where I know there are rabbits and a good amount of squirrles and seeing how I do my next days off.
Take Care

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Bob my cur has run rabbits and I have shot them in front of her. Doesn't seem to hurt her treeing ability.
Thanks for the post and the pictures. Always turns out this way when you have company with you.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Bob Kindon looks like the brother I never knew. Maybe separated at birth? Good work, Bob.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The guy I run with has hunted several species with his Curs and not had a problem..He just tells them to do it and the dogs understand...Its kinda freaky to say the least...the dogs ACTUALLY understand him on what to hunt...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Bob I read an article once where in Germany they would tell the dog or let it smell of a hide or feathers and that dog would hunt that animal or bird that day. At night they might let it smell a raccoon hide and it would hunt that. That is where they called them the versatile hunting dog. They are more intelligent than we give them credit for.

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
How much do you think it has to do with being a good trainer versus just being a factor of when and where they hunt?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I don't know the answer but I from personal experience the more time spent with a dog the harder it tries to please you. When we were growing up my father would not let us pet the rabbit dogs while hunting and very little attention would be given to the dog at home. I think the ones that I have kept in the house were just better hunting and minding. I had a Walker once that used to run deer. I would give him [censored] and sometimes a little more. After awhile if I let him out of the truck and told him "No Deer" then we went all night without a deer chase.

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
I can see training a dog to NEVER hunt a particular species, for example hounds not trailing deer or bird dogs not pointing squirrels. I can see putting a dog on a track and having him run that specific animal, ignoring all others. I can see being able to call a dog off of an unintended animal if you weren't hunting them at that time. I can see having a dog that trees both squirrels and raccoons, taking him out during the day and having him hunt squirrels, then taking him out at night and having him trail and tree coons.

Suppose a dog points grouse and woodcock (even the German versatile dog). Do you believe you could take that dog to a cover holding both grouse and woodcock and have it point only the grouse one day and only the woodcock the next? Or even having a dog that trees both coon and squirrel Could you him out during the day in a woods full of squirrel and tell him "coon" and have him totally ignore the squirrels that day without calling him off of them?

I think either of the above would be some truly impressive training.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was fun and they are nice people. I think why it worked is my curs will stay closer to me in thick cover for some reason. If they went out to far never would have gotten a rabbit. I am still on the fence. I don't know if I want to try them on rabbits more or not. They did good enough that I am thinking about it but if it were a compition hunt they would have gotten minused points for hunting non-tree game. My dog Angel will flush pheasants, grouse, and woodcocks. She is also a groundhog dog extroidinare. I am looking forward to seeing how it looks on film and how it turned out once they get it all edited. It should be on next Sunday. Hope you all watch it. They are very intelligent dogs and they have a strong desire to please you.

Muttly if you can move in the woods like Bob does I might have a hard time keeping up with you.

Sqrlhntr you are right I believe. Like I said I am on the fence but I am leaning toward getting them some practice on rabbits. I have been wanting to compition hunt but never make it. I am still undecided what I am going to do.

Dap,I think that would take a real good trainer and be awfully confusing for the dog.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
So....do you have problems with curs trashing on non-targeted species? I would think one would if they'll run anything.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No you really don't. If you don't want them to run something you just discourage them from doing it and they will leave it alone after a few times. At least this has been my experience. I only know of one guy who had to use a shock collar to trash break his cur off of deer. All I ever had to do was scold them real bad a few times and they left them alone.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Bob I just saw a short blip on Channel 16 and it looked like your dogs on a squirrel hunt. They said it would be shown on Sunday nite at 6:30?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep that was them. You all be sure to watch it, WNEP Channel 16 Sunday night at 6:30. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts