The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a bit of help from the plant guys.

Last evening while fishing the kids and I brushed up against some plants. Very soon after felt like hot small needles in our legs. This pain persisted for a long time.

I know there is a name for these things but it alludes me.

Help!?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
we used to live next to a creek and had a lot of the stingling nettles. There is a weed that grows near them called Jewel Weed. It is supposed to help the smarting if you rub the juice from this plant on it. In the summer it has orange and sometimes yellow flowers and when it goes to seed the pods explode when you touch them and send the seeds out like little rockets
I bet next time you see the nettles you will avoid them. LOL!!!

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Don't avoid them, cut them, take'em home, and simmer them a little bit like you would any other greens. They're delicious!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thats what my pap told me we call it glass weed cause it sounds like glass breaking when you crush it! but dad said the cure grows beside the cause! its also good to rub on poison and let it air dry!!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Glass weed and Jewel weed are the same thing depending on where you live.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
I just found a huge patch of stinging nettle along one of my field sites. Think I might try out this lasagna recipe I found.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is my understanding you can only eat them when they are young, that they may be toxic to your kidneys after they flower. You may want to check before you eat them.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
You're right about that, but these don't have flowers yet so I should be ok. Second crop of them comes out in the fall.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts