The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Agreed. There should be an otter season in the NW counties. I was told last season there were 4 caught here in Butler County, including one I caught. Probably many more in Mercer, Venango, Crawford, and Erie Counties.

It’s impratical for someone here to travel 300 miles if they wanted to target an otter.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got more otter sigh than I;ve ever seen on big sandy. the shenango river basin is polluted with them. we had a trappers day at Tionesta last year and 4 came cruising up the crick we where having demo's on!

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
From my understanding, the Pocono area had the highest population of Otter. So our season is limited there.
Monitoring harvest rates per license sales is the first step to expanding other areas for Otter harvest.
I heard talk of the next area to open will be NW Pa. When? I have no clue.
PGC biologists are closely following Otter harvest and learning how to maintain a good population through trapping. One of the reason is so Otter harvest areas can/will expand throughout the state.

We've had Otter for 30+ years in the Central Susquehanna River Valley and it's tributaries. A stable population.
This overlooked area may be the last to have a season, or never have a season.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The amount of mistake catches I hear about in the northwest would lead me to believe that a season has to be in our near future. I think in the past couple years the population has really expanded and otters seem to be popping up in more and more places.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have been trying for an otter in the Poconos for several years now. Usually only have about 3 days and have caught several beaver in my otter sets, using 330's. No otters yet - only sign. In communicating with a GC biologist two years ago, he said the harvest rate in the Poconos is one otter for every 100 square miles. They can travel up to 7 miles per day if they need to. They are around but it takes some patience and luck....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts