The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anyone or the PGC releasing other breeds of quail in PA? It seems like their are heartier quail than Bob Whites. I don't know much about quail but it would be nice to release a breed of bird for dog training that did not need to rely on agriculture practices and could live through our winters. How about mountain quail? Maybe they would be a nice addition to grouse in our forests…

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have never heard of the PGC releasing any kind of quail. I for one would love to see money put into habitat instead of releasing more pen raised birds. Last thing we need is another nonnative species released for no reason.

We can buy birds cheap for dog training. Bobwhites are great for this.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I kinda think that if another species of quail were better suited for PA it would already have been here.
habitat is the key ,
so unless we have found a new breed of suburban quail I think were better off trying to work with our natives

·
Super Moderator
2,453 Posts
jamesh said:
Does anyone know anyone or the PGC releasing other breeds of quail in PA? It seems like their are heartier quail than Bob Whites. I don't know much about quail but it would be nice to release a breed of bird for dog training that did not need to rely on agriculture practices and could live through our winters. How about mountain quail? Maybe they would be a nice addition to grouse in our forests…
I'm confused. We have grouse in the forests. You are permitted to hunt them and use them for dog training. Why would a non-native species be a nice addition?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They tried Valley quail several years ago, they didn't take.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am all about habitat too, but when guys go out to do dog training they usually use chukars because there is no season. I am thinking of an alternative to chukars that would have a better chance of being a liberated bird if it escapes while dog training. Bob Whites can be shot while in season and only in particular regions of the state. Chukars run…Some other breeds of quail don't have a season and probably hold better…may like forests too...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
the last thing I want to do is try and ID what particular type of quail I just flushed.

from what I can gather pen raised quail do only slightly better then pen raised pheasants.
so stocking can only be of limited success.
the PGC has just started rolling on a quail restoration project , and while they are different birds I think the PGC has learned a few things from the WPR projects.
i'm willing to wait and see.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
jamesh said:
I am all about habitat too, but when guys go out to do dog training they usually use chukars because there is no season. I am thinking of an alternative to chukars that would have a better chance of being a liberated bird if it escapes while dog training. Bob Whites can be shot while in season and only in particular regions of the state. Chukars run…Some other breeds of quail don't have a season and probably hold better…may like forests too...
All this business about "liberated" pen-raised birds surviving and then hopefully establishing some sort of population is a misguided pipe dream of some hunters.

Chukars hold just fine for training and make for good table fare after a day of training.

The fact of the matter with Bobwhites is that Pennsylvania is on the fringe northern edge of their range.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
RyanR said:
jamesh said:
The fact of the matter with Bobwhites is that Pennsylvania is on the fringe northern edge of their range.
This is true to an extent but not a reason to not try establishing quail. There were wild quail in this area in the 50/60s and this is half way in the middle of the state so much of the state had birds.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that reestablishing Bobwhites wasn't worthwhile (if it's a wild bird program.) I was just stating that fact about PA being on the northern fringe of their range so hunters realize a population here will always be even more prone to be more readily impacted by things like adverse weather (for nesting or overwintering), loss of habitat, etc.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Ryan, don't forget about global warming, we should be able to have more areas with good quail habitat since things are heating up

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Lynnappelman said:
Ryan, don't forget about global warming, we should be able to have more areas with good quail habitat since things are heating up
Yeah, I'm looking forward to when the Perdiz head north from South America. Theyvwill be fun birds to work the dogs over and they don't require thick, tall cover to thrive in

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Like John said, they did try to establish a valley quail population probably in the late 80's or early 90's. I believe it was in Washington and Greene Counties if I recall correctly.

The PGC also tried to establish sharptail grouse in the early 70's, that was a failure as well. Weird thing about it, we traded South Dakota some of our wild ringnecked pheasants for the sharptails.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What was the problem with the Valley quail and sharp tails? I would think a bird that doesn't rely on agriculture practices would have a better chance of taking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts