The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question to anybody who knows or could answer.. On the Oswego River up in NY, west of Pulaski, when do the salmon enter the river there and when do they reach the big [censored]?? Which week in Sept??
Trying to plan an early season trip before archery next fall and need to take off before end Feb.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Oswego is usually the first week of October they enter the river.

Pulaski you can catch the Coho run as early as the second week of September like this past year. Usually the first salmon enter Pulaski in the mid third week of September.

If you go up first or second week, rent a guide and boat.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the other part of my question got censored out how long does it take them to reach the falls of the Oswego, from when they enter the river?

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I used to hit the "falls", about the 2nd or 3rd week of Oct. Was usually always a lot of fish. Harder to access now as I have heard that the LIDO island is closed. Used to be able to park there then just slide down the hill to the falls. I think it's only 3 miles up from the lake, not a far run. First day I would usually just try and get my 3 salmon to take home for people who wanted "meat", then concentrate on the browns, lakers, and steelies, that are usually up in the ripples before the falls.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I haven't been to the Oswego river in decades. I don't remember "falls" but I do remember a power plant wtih a big barrier across the river to hold back the water.

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
The river is only about a mile long. Generally the second week of October is your best bet. Alot depends on water conditions.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
beagler said:
The river is only about a mile long. Generally the second week of October is your best bet. Alot depends on water conditions.
I agree. You can see the lake from the power plant. If you are on the wall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts