The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone plant any osage orange (lol monkey balls) I have a ton of them. Ever re plant any?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I've never tried replanting them, but the trees make for excellent firewood. It burns very hot. Also great wood for making a bow.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If I may add what is probably useless info.... I was raised on a farm in Westmoreland Co... way back in the 1950's and we had stands of Osage Orange... Monkey Ball trees on the edge of the property. I asked an older farmer about controlling them & use for them etc... he said that the original farmer/settlers planted them on the edges of their properties. When mature they were so think that they formed a natural boundary and sorta held cattle within the bounds of the farm.... Tried to eat one once but found it tough and tasteless.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. They were used for fence rows. Originated out west. Read the are easily planted just wondered if anyone tried it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I grew 98 trees from seed this year. Here's what I did and had good success. Wait until the Monkey Balls have froze for awhile and have become real smushy, its easier to get the seed out when they're like this. Put on a pair of latex gloves and start breaking the balls apart, the seeds are easy to identify and there's quite a few in each ball. I put them in a strainer and rinsed them off real good and placed them on a paper towel to dry. When I was ready to start growing them I placed them in a pill bottle filled with water for about 3 weeks, changing the water everyday, it will get a bit rancid smelling if you don't keep rinsing them daily. I got a bag of potting soil and some seed planting trays that had those individual planting sections and had a clear plastic cover for the whole tray. I planted two seeds per section about a half inch deep, watered well and placed the clear cover back on and placed them in a nice sunny window. The clear cover helped to keep the watering to a minimum with condensation building up on the inside from the sunshine. Took them about 3 weeks to start germinating. I was about to give up on them and write it off as a learning experience when they weren't up in a week or so, but I left them there and one day noticed them starting to come up. I had them coming up in 3 weeks 4 weeks and 4 1/2 weeks all from the same planting so don't give up on them. When they got to point of getting big enough to touch the inside of the clear plastic lid I took the trays out and placed them in a aluminum cookie pan and placed them back in the window and kept them watered. They grow pretty fast when they do decide to come up. Some I planted in bigger container until the weather was warm enough to plant them out side. I think I only had one die from the 98 I grew. Hope this helps to answer your question.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can't even imagine what the ground would look like around 98 monkey ball trees lol. One good thing there wouldn't be a spider in your yard lol

·
Registered
982 Posts
Whats the info on using them as a spider repellant? Someone told me to cut them in half and put them in every corner of the basement. Is that how you do it?

Bob

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anyone that I ever saw use them for spider replleant put them around the outside of the foundation. Not really sure how it works I have never personally tried it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Snigg21 said:
I've never tried replanting them, but the trees make for excellent firewood. It burns very hot. Also great wood for making a bow.
Nooo, sell it to wood turners, don't burn! Lol

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Interesting stuff. We have some down the rd from us. I am gonna try to get some seeds from them.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
I was told some of the old farmers who would plant them for hedges (hence the nickname, "hedge apple") would cut the fruit in half, dig a trench and bury them with little spacing between the halves.

·
20,127 Posts
Burn it at your own risk lol. While it is #1 in BTU production per cord it is also an amazing 'active' burning wood. Tons popping and amber flying around. At some points it will almost be like popping pop corn. My wife hates that stuff but with how hot it burns I still take it when I can.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Heard from some of the old timers in "monkey ball" counties where they would pick the monkey balls and put them in a barrel, add a bit of water and smash the heck out of them with the end of a 2x4 until they had a slurry. They would dig a trench along the field where they wanted a property/fence line. They would take the slurry and dribble it along in the trench and cover it up. When the trees came up they had a row of trees acting as a fence around the field. Sort of made sense, if your ever in southwestern Pa., in an area where there's monkey ball trees seems they're always growing in rows along field edges.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts