The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try an organic herbicide on food plots. My neighbor will allow me to put in food plots, he just doesn't want me to roundup his fields. There is nothing but timothy grass and it's next to impossible to get rid of by
plowing.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone told me about a product called BurnOut. I don't know how it would work on a large scale.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Is it just roundup? Or does he not want you using any herbicides? You could use clethodim, as RGriz mentioned. I don't know if cleth will knock it out completely, but it should give you enough of a jump to get a plot going.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it just roundup? Or does he not want you using any herbicides? You could use clethodim, as RGriz mentioned. I don't know if cleth will knock it out completely, but it should give you enough of a jump to get a plot going.

No herbicides, period. Organic, ok, chemical, no way.

·
Registered
303 Posts
No herbicides, period. Organic, ok, chemical, no way.
Everything is a chemical at the end of the day, even Vinegar AKA Acetic Acid. :eek: Roundup is a systemic herbicide. All the organic alternatives are just going to be defoliants, and won't truly kill plants.
https://www.organiclawndiy.com/2012/06/organic-roundup-alternatives.html

It sounds like you're probably out of luck here. Maybe burn it, but who knows what the rules for that are. Sounds like just plowing/tilling/disking are you're only real options. Maybe a no-till crimper is an option, but good luck finding one to use. Plant something that will out complete the weeds, like buckwheat, and see what happens.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Disturbing the soil such as disking and plowing without the use of an herbicide will encourage weed growth, he is probably better off with the timothy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I saw an organic herbicide at tractor supply. Don’t remember the name or what the contents were but i remember thinking I had never saw it before

1 - 12 of 12 Posts