The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay iam getting a earl lancaster in 50 my ? is i want a 42 or 44 in barrel [green mountain] the builder said go with a swamped barrel i never had one before always straight heavy barrels i have noproplem shooting my poor boy 1;56 i can hold a in and half groupat v50 yards [he] wants a 1;70 twist need some help in what to get i just want a top shootin gun [i know its not the gun the person behind it]

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I am not an expert, but I personally don't think that there is much difference between 42 and 44in. Deff do with a swamped, the balance is so much better. I ordered one with a 42in colerain barrel

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Mine are 44" swamped Rice barrels in a C weight---Lancaster (J. Dickert) style. 42" is plenty of length but the 2 extra inches looks good---get the 42! JMHO

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I HOPE you can get that barrel.It is my understanding thet Green Mountain is NO LONGER going to make ANY muzzy barrels.PERIOD!TOTW got about 10 58cal TC drop in barrels and they were sold in 2 days.TOTW is all but cleaned out as news spread fast.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories...Size=100&Page=1

Guy called Green Mt. and they said no more,no plans to restart,the end of muzzy barrels!They have completely cleaned their shelves of muzzy barrels.I have been calling every Green Mt. dist. I can think of with nothing but dead ends.They have Goverment contracts on other barrels and we muzzy shooters have fallen by the way side.
My 58 cal GM barrel with a 1:70 twist in a 1" Hawken stock is just a dream.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
If you can`t get Green Mountain ask for a Rice or Collerain. Green Mountain is more worried about their military contracts than regular folkes anymore
Was Gene nice to you? Every time I was ever in there he was very grumpy? Is that just normal for him
How much is the rifle gonna run ya?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive known gene for 20plus years he one of the reason why i shoot so much plus we are in the same mountain men club thats just the way gene is over all he is a great guy to deal with it just takes him a little time to warm up to peopleas for price i have no idea we were talkin about me doing some comp shoots and he said ill build you a gun just for you so i said go for it then the wife gave me a dirty look oh well but she fine with it

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
My wife almost killed me---I didnt tell her untill it was almost finished! Get the Rice for sure.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
my gf will hopefully never know how much mine is going to cost. They only thing she knows is that it is not cheap

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
You are sitting pretty------its not your wife!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
So are Getz!

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
mountainman09 said:
talked to gene he has a gmm barrel for me 42in or 44in my choise
Is it straight or swamped? If straight is it 7/8" or 15/16" ATF?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts