The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are deer archery only tomorrow, you don't have to wear orange at all right? That is what it appears to say on the pgc website under the FO requirements. It used to be you had to wear it while moving. Is that gone now?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I believe that is gone now. I'll be bowhunting public land tomorrow and I'll be wearing an orange hat at the very least. Might even throw on a vest while moving. Sorry, but I don't trust the general public that much.

I don't particularly worry about someone mistaking me for a deer, what I do worry about is someone shooting at a deer and not seeing me in the line of fire.

·
Registered
495 Posts
No orange unless your taking muzzleloader along or during firearms season.
Requirements has been gone for at least 1-2 years. Pretty clear in the book

·
Registered
1 Posts
No orange unless your taking muzzleloader along or during firearms season.
Requirements has been gone for at least 1-2 years. Pretty clear in the book
I think that is why he was asking. Today is a firearm season, unless muzzleloaders aren't firearms. I wouldn't call that digest clear in this regard.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think that is why he was asking. Today is a firearm season, unless muzzleloaders aren't firearms. I wouldn't call that digest clear in this regard.
Muzzleloaders are under a completely different set of rules and not considered modern firearms. Firearms season is after thanksgiving.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I also start wearing an orange hat this time of year, and keep a vest in my pack for when I'm moving around in the daylight. Even on private land, I've had a few .22's lobbed in my general direction over the years and don't care much for it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
they should have kept it as it was. If any person hunting needs it, everyone should. Its not like they check what weapon your packing before they accidentally shoot you.

·
Registered
495 Posts
they should have kept it as it was. If any person hunting needs it, everyone should. Its not like they check what weapon your packing before they accidentally shoot you.
Totally disagree. I hunt some areas that are bow only and we had to stop anytime you had to wear any kind of orange (even if you could remove at your stand).
Most people are shot because they or someone else didn’t follow common safety practices. Loaded firearms in vehicle, pulling up loaded weapon to stand, shooting without at running deer without verify what’s behind that deer. Most of these orange wouldn’t do a lick to solve.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Why did you have to stop? My guess is this is suburbia and the entity allowing hunting didn't want negative feedback from the surrounding landowners?

·
Registered
11,133 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
what makes hunters who use guns idiots?
In all fairness, he never said all gun hunters were idiots. He just said there were idiots running around the woods with guns. Lord knows there's no shortage of idiots out there, and some of them hunt!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts