The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
I was wondering when someone was going to come and ask this......
I sure hope not, not that I have an issue with getting rid of more bushytails, but I can't believe this just went through without any prior talk to archers?!
Just off the top of my head, I see a few issues from the archer standpoint
1. orange?
2. forget public land patterning of early bucks
3. more activity before season could lead to more stolen cams and ladders

On the flip side, having a bunch of bushytail hunters out there shooting for a month, might just push more deer into areas where they wouldn't normally go. Might also keep deer on their feet during the day and increase sightings during the "october lull".
who knows, I guess we will see in a few short months. I know one thing, time to locate more stands on the escape corridors leading to the farm from the SGL surrounding

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess we will see in a few short months. I know one thing, time to locate more stands on the escape corridors leading to the farm from the SGL surrounding

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
First, this is a proposal with a first vote.

A second concurring vote needs to be had before it happens.

Third, a simple orange band above the stand could be a safety solution. We know deer do not react to FO, and the around the tree bands don't move.... so nothing giving one away to the deer.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Is this orange during squirrel something new? If I remember right You only needed orange during overlap with Turkey and October Muzzle/Rifle season.

I use an orange band anyway and a hat while moving.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take a few days off to squirrel hunt, but many archers will not even put a band up. They look nothing like a squirrel but shoud use some orange ribbon or something.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Alpine Shooter said:
Since squirrel is in the whole archery season now, will we have to wear orange the entire season?
When did archers every have to wear FO because of squirrel season? I sure hope we won't have to display orange anymore than we already have to. I stay away from certain areas when we have to display orange because I don't want people in houses or people on the road to see me!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
I hope it doesn't go through. I always hunt the first week of bow on public land and this would really change things up.

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
hey, squirrel hunters gotta eat too. i got no problem sharing the woods with them, sometimes i am them. really, theres nothing better than squirrel, boil 'em, then fry 'em just like rabbit. use the dripping to make gravy for the 'taters, don't get any better.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
yellodog, are squirrels anything like rabbits when it comes to "being a waste to shoot prior to a very cold snap?". I've shot them, lots of them, but always give them away. Is this new opener going to result in any type of increase "wormy" animals that are shot but not able to be consumed.....or aren't squirrels susceptible to that?

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
I would like to see the squirrel population decreased in my area. Currently during a good acorn season the crop is depleted in 3 weeks or so due to the squirrels also raccoons, turkey, and birds.

However, I also am not a fan of being required to wear or display my secret locations to others. Increases the risk of security for my trail cams, tree stands, mock scrapes etc. I have spent a lot of time locating these areas and I know from experience others will not respect them and take advantage of my time spent which is legal, but more difficult for anyone to find if they don't have F. O. flag show the way to them.

·
Registered
19,672 Posts
I don't think the orange regs will change for archers. No orange except overlaps with muzzie and turkey.

I don't think it will much matter in the areas I hunt. I can't remember the last time I saw a squirrel hunter.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I also can't remember the last time I saw a squirrel hunter also. Just not a game animal that is often hunted in my areas.

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
yellodog, are squirrels anything like rabbits when it comes to "being a waste to shoot prior to a very cold snap?". I've shot them, lots of them, but always give them away. Is this new opener going to result in any type of increase "wormy" animals that are shot but not able to be consumed.....or aren't squirrels susceptible to that?
i dunno. iv'e shot lots of rabbits & squirrels in early fall and never had any problems. heard about the worm thing, but never experienced it. just a fyi, squirrels are the hardest thing iv'e ever skinned, it's a chore but worth it.

btw, grey squirrels bury their nuts one at a time. fox squirrels hoard them in piles. greys are good for planting trees due to their habits, but fox squirrels know where their pile is, so they don't loose many like the greys do. i always try to shoot fox squirrels for that reason.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Just talked to my son about the new season. He is glad that he will be able to squirrel hunt before archery season. In the last couple of years, he has really grown tired of the archery hunters pressuring those squirrels that he has patterned all summer and pushing them off of their routines. Last summer he had a 5 1/2 year old fox squirrel that he had his core area pegged down. Some archery hunter was in their the first day and he never saw him again. He must have went nocturnal!!

In all seriousness, FO was never required during squirrel seasons to my knowledge and anymore there isn't more than a handful of people that squirrel hunt. We already have season like waterfowl and dove that come in before archery anyway. I do think that this early season may get a few people out there small game hunting that haven't done it in years. They may remember how much fun it is.

I think the "don't shoot a rabbit until a frost" is just an old wives tail. I have never seen any study that has proved that. Cook it thoroughly and it will be fine.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Shot hundreds of squirrels over the years at beginning of Oct., never seen one with worms. Did discard one that had white spots on it's liver though.

However, rabbits use to pursure them a good bit back years ago and we have found some with worms in them at the start of the season. They say it does not harm you, but they were just to unappetizing to us, we tending to wait for several heavy frosts thereafter before pursing them in earnest.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
The orange band was a suggestion for those with concerns about the squirrel hunters. Only a suggestion on my part.

Nothing official!!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts