The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bunch of 250 ballistic tips and 300gr HP Thor's in today and so i figured since the Optima was scoped, i'd load up 100gr of White Hots and the 300gr Thor. Started off at 50 yards and took 3 shots to get the scope zeroed in 1 1/2" high @ 50 and then took the rifle inside to swab out. 2 windex patches and i was finished cleaning.

Loaded up my gear onto the ATV and set up a fresh target at 100 yards. A few inches to the left but center.

I pulled shot #2 which was my fault due to me keeping my hand on the adjustment bar on the lead sled Shots 1 and 3 are touching.

They look good together i think,

Pellet fits right into the Thors hollow base,

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HNTRDAVE said:
did you use them before? how do they perform on deer?
My brother in law shot this deer at 175 yards with 105gr pyrodex rs and the 250gr ballistic tip thor. Shot was 1/4ing towards us and the bullet impacted the neck and went through spine, off shoulder, broke that shoulder blade in half and the bullet was lodged under the skin. Deer dropped in its tracks.

I tried the 250gr Thor with Triple 7 Magnums yesterday, 2 pellets totaling 150 grains did excellent. I did crush one pellet on the 5th shot due to the crud ring built up in the barrel and i think that did help open up the group. But over all, the Thor's and the Optima set up are a deadly combo.

Shots 3-4-5 were done after i adjusted the scope.

The Thors hollow base is excellent for sealing off gases. Ive compared them to powerbelts and even though the Thor was 5 grains heavier than the 245gr powerbelt i was shooting before, The Thor with 100gr American Pioneer Shoots at 2,150 FPS VS the Powerbelts 1,870 FPS. It surprised the heck out of me.

Both the IMR White Hots and the T7 Magnums fit snug into the Thors hollow base. I cant wait to chronograph and see what kind of FPS i get with the Magnum charge.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The Wegmans down the road has White Hots for sale in the deli dept, boy are they tastey

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
with my shooting sticks, The rifle will hold a 2" group @ 100 yards. Off hand and aiming at a black dot or something is a whole lot different than shooting at an animal. But its true, If you dont shoot off hand, you wont be worth a snot in the field.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.