The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

Registered
Personally, canned hunts are for canned hunters 馃槃. I have zero respect for it. And I have a good friend that went on one in PA. I'd rather never be fortunate enough to hunt a particular animal than to pretend to hunt one in a fence.
Thats the great part of living in a "free" country. We are free to do as we please. To each their own, though that style of hunt isnt for me either Id never try to tell another person how or how not to hunt

Registered
Thats the great part of living in a "free" country. We are free to do as we please. To each their own, though that style of hunt isnt for me either Id never try to tell another person how or how not to hunt
That's the great part of living in a free country, we are free to express our opinion as we please too. In case you missed it, I didn't tell anyone how or how not to hunt.馃憤

Reactions: bohunr

Registered
Personally, canned hunts are for canned hunters 馃槃. I have zero respect for it. And I have a good friend that went on one in PA. I'd rather never be fortunate enough to hunt a particular animal than to pretend to hunt one in a fence.
A Canned or Fence hunt is a catch all term for any hunt where the game is contained in any way. That being said there are different types of hunts within that definition. A place like Tioga with a wide variety of animals crammed into a couple hundred acres and 100% success isn鈥檛 really what I would consider a hunt. As someone who did it for boar they had someone out following the pigs around who radioed back where they were. We drove ahead of the group, got in position and they pushed the animals to us with dogs, I had my shot only half an hour or so after leaving the lodge. At 13 it was kinda fun but now I have no interest in that kind of experience

However some of the western hunts on 10s of thousands of acres with the animals widely spread across a large area now that can be seen as an actual hunt. If the animal being hunted has hundreds of acres to travel its home range and never even goes near a fence how different is it from hunting in PA where the same deer only occupy a couple hundred acres at most.

Registered
That's the great part of living in a free country, we are free to express our opinion as we please too. In case you missed it, I didn't tell anyone how or how not to hunt.馃憤
It is great to be able to do these things like freedom of speech and freedom of choice. And for the record I dont recall saying anything specifically about you telling anyone what they can do I was just sating that I personally wouldnt do a hunt like that either but if someone else enjoys them or is the only way to get to hunt a specific animal and they enjoy it Im happy for them too.

Sometimes the best way to express freedom of speech at times is choosing not to say anything at all

Registered
It is great to be able to do these things like freedom of speech and freedom of choice. And for the record I dont recall saying anything specifically about you telling anyone what they can do I was just sating that I personally wouldnt do a hunt like that either but if someone else enjoys them or is the only way to get to hunt a specific animal and they enjoy it Im happy for them too.

Sometimes the best way to express freedom of speech at times is choosing not to say anything at all
LOL, ya quoted me in your reply.

Registered
A Canned or Fence hunt is a catch all term for any hunt where the game is contained in any way. That being said there are different types of hunts within that definition. A place like Tioga with a wide variety of animals crammed into a couple hundred acres and 100% success isn鈥檛 really what I would consider a hunt. As someone who did it for boar they had someone out following the pigs around who radioed back where they were. We drove ahead of the group, got in position and they pushed the animals to us with dogs, I had my shot only half an hour or so after leaving the lodge. At 13 it was kinda fun but now I have no interest in that kind of experience

However some of the western hunts on 10s of thousands of acres with the animals widely spread across a large area now that can be seen as an actual hunt. If the animal being hunted has hundreds of acres to travel its home range and never even goes near a fence how different is it from hunting in PA where the same deer only occupy a couple hundred acres at most.
For the life of me I cannot understand why on earth someone would hunt out West, with all that great public land, and hunt behind a fence even if it is tens of thousands of acres? (I'm not talking about low-fence) But hey it's a free country and it's legal but I have zero interest in it. Personally, I am interested in a fair chase hunt of free-roaming game. A western big game hunt is a dream come true wilderness experience for me and that's what I want.

And yes, I chase the PGC released pheasants with my dogs and it is what it is but even those birds are at least completely free to go where they choose once released. And I do what I can to make the most of it as far as I try everything I can to avoid hunting a SGL on stocking day and I do not take pot shots at parking lot birds, etc. And I have no interest in hunting one of the big lodges out West for pheasants (because they release thousands on their properties) as I'd prefer public land birds.

Reactions: bohunr

Registered
Well I am in the same thoughts if someone wants to do a canned hunt god bless em its a free country , every one is in a different place in life some folks cant get around like they used to and im happy for any one I know that does his own thing
Im 58 and still go into the back country chasing bugles in september, and honestly a lot of Pa tree stand hunters couldnt hack that! one day my time in the back country will come to an end its just part of life would I do a canned hunt then? Idont know prob not but im not gona throw stones at my age Ive learned many thing and the big one is I dont know everything lol

Registered
Do what makes you happy. Those canned hunts are for meat as much as anything.

Everyone has the right to express their opinion.

Everyone else has the right to completely ignore it.
Absolutely, if someone did one and posted there story here I would probably read about it and not really comment beyond maybe s glad you enjoyed yourself. The discussion here was about an opportunity to cull free roaming bison for the NPS. The discussion morphed in doing a canned hunt for bison and few people posted about different hunts. At that point it was kind of open to express any opinion on it.

Heck years ago when I was younger I used to see those boar preserve ads in magazines and I really thought about it because I wanted to get a wild boar. Part of me thought it'd be cool but there was a part of me that just didn't and the more I went on this hunting & fishing journey in my life I realized it just wasn't for me at all. Like I said, a good friend and a couple other guys I know went on one or two with bows and I was asked to go once, kind of a guys weekend too. I said I wasn't interested (they pressed why and I told him I had zero interest in ever doing any fence hunt.) I was still happy they had a good time and my friend got his ram mounted. We were somewhere in our 20s at the time and since then he actually had the opportunity to go on safari in Africa (something ge never figured he'd get to do when he went on the fence hunt.) Go figure. Now he laughs about getting the ram mounted.

Registered
Honestly, I'm with you. I don't think it would be for me. But my 8 year old son wants to shoot a boar and I may take him. Certainly don't think I'd get it mounted though. But just because it may not be for me, doesn't mean that it's wrong for everyone.

Registered
...Do trophies count if you don鈥檛 get to keep them past the drying period to be scored?
Regarding the sci trophy categories its what you want to make of them, could be anywhere from just a list of species to achieve or an actual scored and recognized list leading to an award that you can also buy the trophy engraved with the details of each of the species. For me it is just a list, the three species of Oxen I've taken, 5 animals, I never had entered in a record book. There are varying award levels (copper, bronze, silver, gold, diamond (8 species)) depending on how many oxen species you take. The category is similar to a sheep grand slam or a Pa triple trophy, you can just do it or if you want be officially recognized, your choice. The muskox could be scored by B&C and that would need to be dried, the water and cape buffalo aren't scored by B&C so either sci or rowland and ward score them. SCI only requires a 60 day drying period for the top 20 animals within a category, below that a green measurement by a certified measurer is ok.

Just as a point of conversation for the posts above regarding fenced hunts, the majority of plains game hunts in Africa, especially South Africa, are high fence enclosed.

capebuffalo 2.jpg muskox-1.jpg compile 3 x 600.jpg

Registered
so why pay to go all the way to Africa to hunt behind a fence when it can be done right here in the states. some operations have a thousand fenced in acres. FYI, i support all legal means of hunting.

Registered
so why pay to go all the way to Africa to hunt behind a fence when it can be done right here in the states. some operations have a thousand fenced in acres. FYI, i support all legal means of hunting.
Some in Africa have tens of thousands fenced in. Really Africa is cheaper then I thought to hunt. I know someone who went twice and was suprised how reasonable it seemed. Not the hunt for me though, I would rather be in America and the cold and snow.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts