The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
The bison on kodiak are ranched Plains bison. The interior bison are free range but also non-native Plains bison and very difficult to get a tag. There have been some native Woods bison re-introduced but not huntable.

Reactions: loridr

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
For those wanting a bison, I could be wrong on some of this info, but I am pretty certain there are free range bison on Kodiak Island. I don't know if they qualify fr any record books as that kind of thing does not interest me in the least. I think they were introduced and as such a tag is not needed, nor are they regulated by AKDFG.

Again, look this up for yourself for the exact facts. I stumbled across this a few years ago and haven't looked since.
Here's the info, it appears a tag is needed for a non-resident:

·
Registered
11,411 Posts

The bison on kodiak are ranched Plains bison. The interior bison are free range but also non-native Plains bison and very difficult to get a tag. There have been some native Woods bison re-introduced but not huntable.
Yeah, I guess what I posted above applies to the free range herd other than the Kodiak ranched animals.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Those tags are for the interior units, not on kodiak. the bison on kodiak are ranched and not under akfgd.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
I've applied for the hunt near Delta. Pretty long odds to draw one of those tags. But still, it would be pretty cool.
Pretty sure I applied for the D1404 tag, but my memory fails me at times anymore. Once you've applied for quite a few, they tend to run together. Couple other AK tags that I apply for but they have all been a whiff so far. None of them are easy tags.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Call me a canned hunter or whatever but I'm strongly considering paying for a Bison hunt at Tioga Boar Hunting

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
I think I would pay for a ranch hunt out west somewhere before I did that. But hey, if it trips your trigger...it's your money and decision.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Got an email about this the day before it was posted here and thought it was great... wasn't going to post it here and lessen my chances... started to apply untill I got to the part about a 3-5 person physically qualified support team needing to be present for the training and the hunt. Yes I'd like to have my choice of what I get to keep but I can also live without that, just being part of the experience, having pictures and memories, would be worth it to me. It's a management hunt with the potential of a good trophy. SCI has different game species categories and Oxen of the World is one of them. I've taken Barren Ground Muskox, Australia Water Buffalo, and Cape Buffalo. This would have been an opportunity for a 4th.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think I would pay for a ranch hunt out west somewhere before I did that. But hey, if it trips your trigger...it's your money and decision.
I've looked into that in great detail. It would turn a $3K hunt into a $4.5K hunt and that would hurt a little too much. At $3K I can still fill my freezer for $10 a pound and I can still blood my Trapdoor Carbine

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Got an email about this the day before it was posted here and thought it was great... wasn't going to post it here and lessen my chances... started to apply untill I got to the part about a 3-5 person physically qualified support team needing to be present for the training and the hunt. Yes I'd like to have my choice of what I get to keep but I can also live without that, just being part of the experience, having pictures and memories, would be worth it to me. It's a management hunt with the potential of a good trophy. SCI has different game species categories and Oxen of the World is one of them. I've taken Barren Ground Muskox, Australia Water Buffalo, and Cape Buffalo. This would have been an opportunity for a 4th.
The part where the state keeps total control of what happens to the animal is what turns me off from the hunt. Based on what I read the best you can hope for is some of the meat as the skull and hide will be kept by the state. Do trophies count if you don’t get to keep them past the drying period to be scored?

I've looked into that in great detail. It would turn a $3K hunt into a $4.5K hunt and that would hurt a little too much. At $3K I can still fill my freezer for $10 a pound and I can still blood my Trapdoor Carbine
If that is the place I hunted at 15 years ago when I was 13 I would not recommend it. I went on a wild boar hunt there and it was an interesting experience to say the least. I’m not sure what was worse, the cop that used 18 rounds of 9mm to kill a pig, the archery guy that got chased by the water buffalo but fortunately managed to have one lucky arrow hit it in the femoral artery in the back leg, the guy that had his 8 year old son repeated shoot a bison with a 20 gauge that apparently had little effect or the guy lobbing 200 yard shots at rams with a slug gun off the cabin porch before hitting one in the spine and spending another box trying to kill it.

For me I might only ever do one bison hunt in my life so I personally would prefer to do a spot and stalk out west for a big bull using my Sharps and get the whole shoulder mount, hide and skull done to go along with the hundreds of pounds of meat I’d get to bring home.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
If that is the place I hunted at 15 years ago when I was 13 I would not recommend it. I went on a wild boar hunt there and it was an interesting experience to say the least. I’m not sure what was worse, the cop that used 18 rounds of 9mm to kill a pig, the archery guy that got chased by the water buffalo but fortunately managed to have one lucky arrow hit it in the femoral artery in the back leg, the guy that had his 8 year old son repeated shoot a bison with a 20 gauge that apparently had little effect or the guy lobbing 200 yard shots at rams with a slug gun off the cabin porch before hitting one in the spine and spending another box trying to kill it.
I won't go into detail, but I would need to be far more desperate than I am to hunt that place. Out west somewhere is where I'd be as well.

·
Registered
22,584 Posts
Call me a canned hunter or whatever but I'm strongly considering paying for a Bison hunt at Tioga Boar Hunting
i would look into the wilderness lodge before i ever went to tioga. DPMS went to the wilderness, has a good review on it. Bison 2,500 and up

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I think this opportunity would be amazing. Unless they do this again in time not many people get the chance to do something like this.

I have zero desire to hunt a bison. They are a herd animal that is from my understanding a fairly easy target. The meat is nothing different than a nice tender piece of beef from the several times I ate it.

However due to the limited opportunity I’d give it a try if I lived out there. Like others have said the experience and pictures to me is more important than the meat as that only lasts a limited amount of time but the rest is never forgotten. To keep the hide and skull would be ideal though.

If they actually go through with this I think it will be a pretty cool experience for some hunters.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I buy bison meat from someone who raises them. Burger, steaks, roast, summer sausage all real good, once figure out how to cook them right.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
NWPAhunter , Sylvester`s is that off California Road butcher shop or the bison farm on the right going east out of Westfield on route 49 ? thanks for any information

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Personally, canned hunts are for canned hunters 😄. I have zero respect for it. And I have a good friend that went on one in PA. I'd rather never be fortunate enough to hunt a particular animal than to pretend to hunt one in a fence.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts