The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Opinions/Views of Scent Lok

4K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Surveyor 527 
#1 ·
I was seriously thinking of purchasing Scent Lok camo clothing, and just wanted some of your opinions on it. If you had success with it, if you think it works, how long have you used Scent Lok clothing, etc. Please just let me know. Thanks.

#4 ·
I've worn Scent-lok since the original green suits that had the itchy fiberglass type filament liners.
I shot my largest buck to date, a 205 lb.(certified scale) dressed weight 10pt., while wearing that older model suit while he was standing 12yds down wind of me. They've upgraded the suits a whole lot in recent years.
I like the Savana EXT and wear it religiously.
I'll wear the suit out before it looses it's effectiveness. I wash it in scent free soap a lot more frequently than the manufacturer suggests and put it in the dryer every night to reactivate it.
I believe that Scent-lok works but it's not a cure all to overcome other bad habits.

#5 ·
Unfortunately, from what I've read, I takes about 450+ degrees to reactivate the "activated charcoal" that these suits contain. These were from articles in Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, and North American Whitetail.

Dryers manufactured for home use do not exceed 225 degrees or so.

Anyhow, I've never used any of these products. I play the wind whether on stand or while still-hunting. As long as the wind and thermals are in my face, the deer has no idea that I am there.

#6 ·
I can't say how effective or not it is, but I don't use it.
I am leaning more towards it being a gimmick. I just keep my clothes in aplastic bag with some sort of a cover scent, and shower with scent killing soap every morning before I go out and was not "blown" once this season.

99% of the time if I get blown is because a deer snuck in on me and I did not see or hear them and I moved or sniffled or something.

I think you can do better for you money as mentioned above, playing the wind right, and being up in a stand of some sort so the scent blows over them. JMHO

#9 ·
I think it helps. I have one and also a Sitka 90% jacket and pants that I spray with scent eliminator spray. I have seen no difference between the two. Get whatever camo you want and stay as clean and as scent free as possible. A carbon suit alone isn't a cure all.

#11 ·
I've got a lot of scentlock, silver lining/scent killer base layers, enzyme killer clothing etc. I also use the sprays, soaps, shampoos religiously before each outing and have found the products I like the best. Not all scent-killing soaps etc even smell scentless to my nose!

I hunt a lot, 20+ days usually every archery season (if needed), 7 days or so in rifle (if need be) and always try and save a tag for late muzzleloader season which I hunt as much as I can until the tags are filled.

I've taken a lot of deer over the past 20 years, my experience tells me that it defenitely does work, but it is defenitely NOT 100% fool-proof all the time, in any condition. I forget the TV commerical on the hunting channel that's out now that says you can "hunt 360" and forget the wind. That's just simply not true!

My take is that the scent killing steps you take can make a big difference in fooling their nose if conditions get iffy and they are in the "wrong" place at the "wrong" time (say wind is swirling, etc). And sometimes it's that little bit of help that those items can give you, that you need to get it done.

I really like to hunt archery in my MT050's, uninsulated w/ the scent blocker. It covers you in all weather types (wind/rain) if things change in the stand, pretty lightweight, cammo patters are very nice and durable, it's pretty quiet compared to most types of gortex type clothing, and you don't get too much "baggy-arm-syndrome" when it comes to hunting w/ a bow.

The clothing stuff etc defenitely helps, but you still need to play the wind. In my OP it can give you the edge when you need it sometimes, and when bow hunting, I try and do everything I can to get it done. It's not an easy game to get them in close.

#12 ·
I've had the scent lok shirt, pants, and jackets for a couple of years. This year my kids got me the scentlok base layer. I also got one of the scent blocker fleece jackets and pants. I accumulated it over a few years, so the sticker shock wasn't too bad.

If I were to start all over again, I would look hard at the Medalist Silver max base layers in what ever weight you feel you would wear most. Personally, I'm looking at the warm weather gear, since my base layer is heavy.This stuff can be washed as much as you want. Maybe get 2 sets for the days you sweat a lot and hunt back to back. From there, make sure you keep your outer garments clean and scent free. Even cover scents would work, since the scentlok or silver max is next to the skin and working from there.

Like everyone else said, no one item is going to solve your problems, but by combining many, you increase your chances.

#14 ·
I've been using scent elimination products for alot of years and have written many articles on the subject. As of now... I prefer the clothing with silver as an outer layer, a base layer withthe same, all washed in Silver XP, and of course showering with Silver XP products.

I have had extremly good results with this. However, you must remember to wash and clean every piece of clothing and equipment. You should wash all underwear, socks, watch bands and espessially hats. Also wash the towels and washcloths you intend to use for showering withthte same scent elimination products as well.

I have an article on http://www.biggamehunt.net that deals with scent control. Give it a good study.

#15 ·
All i know is that it's an awful lot of money for something that wasn't used 25 yrs ago. I will rely on my skills and woodsmanship. If that means i don't get a shot at one so be it. When in Illinois this yr. my friend uses it and was busted a few times through out the week. I don't use it and never had a deer blow at me. And more than a few were down wind.
But, buy all means use what works for you.

#17 ·
I agree. I think that this scentlok stuff has probably saved more game animals' lives than have been taken. I know some guys that think the suit is all they need to do. I can't choke down the cost of a complete outfit and finally, I can never get an answer as to the useful life of the stuff.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.