The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of purchasing this from our local Dick's Sporting Goods for my son, it is his first year hunting.
Read many reviews, and compared other packages.
For the money this appears to be a solid choice for what I expect out of a rifle for a youth hunter.
What are your opinions please.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
My opinion , its one of the best buys out there , most are very accurate and reasonably priced the scopes on the package deal are hit and miss some are ok and some are junk.The trigger leaves a lot to be desired ,but a easy fix with e new spring all in all a good starter gun.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
My son has 1 in an 06. He loves it light easy to carry and very accurate. We did a little trigger work by replacing the heavier spring but there are replacement triggers made for them now as another option. For the price cant beat them. Savage has always been 1 of the most accurate rifles right out of the box..

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I have an Edge (early Axis before name change) in 223 and it is a very accurate gun. I replaced the trigger spring and it is a little better. I would recommend looking for a newer Axis 2 which has the accutrigger.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just got an Axis 2 in 7mm-08 today for my son so im glad to see positive reviews. I looked at the Axis at Dicks but they dont carry them in 7mm-08 so I went to Gander and got the Axis 2. I think I will like the Acu trigger better.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Bought one for my 8 year old son this past spring. It the axis youth in .243 with factory scope. First time out he complained that the trigger was real hard for him to pull and it showed on paper. About 6" groups at 90 yards. Bought a timney trigger for it, and these are the results from an 8 year old boy at 90 yards shooting with a trigger stick tripod standing up only. 6 shots in a row. Shooting Hornady custom lites 87 grain out of the box.I would recommend this combo for any first time young hunter out there. I was sure impressed with the guns ability and even more so my sons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seems the downfall on most of these newer cheap rifles is the trigger. If pend another $100 on a timney trigger and you have yourself a heck of a gun.
Good shooting from your son.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought one this spring at a Cabela's up here in Minnesota. It was old "new" stock. Stainless steel, but no AccuTrigger. Got it for $200.00. Put a Pine Ridge (Cabela's) 3x-9x on it, as I didn't have any other scopes at the time. Started with a box of Winchester 95 gr. loads and finished with Federal Fusion 95 gr. loads. The gun shoots great. 1" groups at 100 yards off the bench with consistency. This with a cheap scope and a heavy trigger. I wouldn't doubt this would shoot tighter with some good handloads and a trigger job, but no problem with "minute of deer" accuracy. Took it out to 200 yards off the bags and it shot two 2 1/4" three shot groups. Plenty good enough for me. Came with an extra magazine. The mags have a plastic catch on them, which obviously would be a weak point. I intend to keep the spare mag with me, and only use the one in the gun until it fails, and have the other one waiting in the wings. Worst case scenario, it temporarily becomes a single shot if I forget to pack the extra mag. The plastic safety is a bit of a concern, but in 40 years of hunting, I've never broke a gun yet, and don't expect to now. Accurate, lightweight, and affordable. I'm satisifed with mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts