The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was shotgun shopping for my oldest boy today.

Looking for something with a bit more swat than a single .410 for him to hunt small game with.

Initially, I was looking at a lefty 870 for him, but these Stoeger doubles caught my eye.

Quality? reliability?

I don't know a lot about doubles other than the good ones are EXPENSIVE, which puts me a bit on the alert at a sub-$400 shotgun.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You get what you pay for, they are not great. I would look at the Browning BPS, or, if budget is an issue, a used Ithica 37 20 gauge either one. The bottom ejection solves the lefty problem, and the design is near flawless. If you had $400 to spend, the Stoeger would be my last choice.
( I say that because last year I took a kid rabbit hunting, parents had bought him a Stoeger over/under. It misfired and bound up all day )

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm left handed and I use a Mossberg 500, the gun itself wasn't an issue being a lefty, it was the safety, but the Mossberg solved that.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have a Stoeger Uplander Special 20 ga. SxS. Had it for about 10 years now.

It was made by Amantino in Brazil. It's has 24" barrels with 3" chambers and screw-in chokes. It got a coined reciever, double triggers and an English grip.

If you want a gun to shoot 10,000 rounds a year through at the traphouse or clays course , you will wear this gun out. If you want an economical, reliable field gun with only the necessary frills, you will like this gun. You may even love it. It's very light, shoulders in an instant and handles wonderfully. It has never been anything but reliable for me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
In that price range, and for a new doube-barrel, I'd rather buy a Russian-made Baikal double [which is what I did]. They aren't pretty but like most Russian stuff are robust and they work. They have chromed bores which is nice.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a Baikal made Stoeger. It seemed like a nicely built gun but it was like swinging a railroad tie. I ended up selling it because of this but other than that I had no complaints.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Every one I ever picked up was far too clubby and unbalanced for me to buy one.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
John S said:
Every one I ever picked up was far too clubby and unbalanced for me to buy one.
You oughta take my little 20 for a walk one day.

I'm not claiming it's a Model 21. Don't get me wrong. But it's anything BUT clubby.

My only regret is that I ordered it with 24" tubes instead of 26's. I'm a bit long in the arm and I think the 26-inchers would have suited me better. But the 24's are very quick and handy when the going gets thick.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My wife likes the fit of the Stoegers, considering purchasing one as well.

A Tidbit of info which may or may-not be important to you, some models have auto-ejectors, some have extractors.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The "get what you pay for" is what I was concerned about. I've looked at and lusted after a nice double for years. The price just isn't within reach for me. These Stoegers seemed too good to be true.

Not being experienced with doubles, they seem very light and responsive to me. Of course, the proof would be in the shooting and I doubt that Gander Mt would appreciate me shooting a round of trap in their store...

I'm a lefty, too. I hated the Mossberg shotguns (500 and 835). They always managed to throw junk in my face when I was shooting fast and I never liked the idea of the empty hulls ejecting across my line of sight.

I saw a 12 and a 20 Ithaca 37 used for a reasonable price and I've got my eye on an 870 lefty which is what I shoot.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
fishdart said:
In that price range, and for a new doube-barrel, I'd rather buy a Russian-made Baikal double [which is what I did]. They aren't pretty but like most Russian stuff are robust and they work. They have chromed bores which is nice.
I'll trade you then. Wish I has my fixed choke stoger back, don't particularly care for the Baikal. Used to use my SxS for everything now it just sits at home and collects dust.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I picked up an o/u in .410 a while back, sweet little gun. I used iton the HPA pheasant hunt and got 2 birds with it in the morning. If anyone is interested in a trade for it, send me a pm.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...

I finally got enough time to take him to the range today with a box of #8 target loads and watched him handle my shotgun.

He didn't have a problem at all with it. Now, I didn't get into aerial shooting at all, I just let him blast away at a stationary target figuring to let him get the feel of it before he tries to shoot a mover with it.

Looks like I'm buying another 870...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts