The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see by his website info that he is reasonable in price with a fairly short turnaround time. My question to those of you who have used him is in the details. Do the small details like eyes, mouth and ears get the attention to detail. In my opinion these details make the difference between a good mount and a excellent one. I got a big buck last week and looking to get him mounted. I know several good local guys but they are pricey with very long turnaround time.
I emailed him last week but no reply yet. Due to bad hearing I don't like using the phone unless I have to. Anybody know what his hours are at the shop?
Opinions please ,Thank you

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Randy does 1st class work. He's done my bobcat and my wife's hen pheasant. He has also done my brother's bear he got last year. My brother lives in northern Potter County. He brought it down to have Randy do the work. When it was done Randy hauled it to Potter County for us to pick up at Randy's camp. A great guy doing great work at great prices. Taxidermy is his way of putting food on the table for he and his family so he's not gonna do a bad job and take a chance of taking food out of his kids mouths in the future.

Sorry for the bad cell phone quality pics.

I will be taking all my work to Randy for as long as he will take it. Good luck and I hope I've helped you.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
No complaints from me and he has done two dozen jobs for me in the last three years. No deer to show but here are some close ups of other species he did. His personal character is also top notch. You won't catch him bad mouthing live or via pm any other taxidermist or visiting their shops to attempt to intimidate them over pricing. The same can't be said for many others including some right here.....

damage to nose was self induced, mount dropped flat down on the nose upon first attempt at hanging it

·
Banned
649 Posts
If you have good local guys and they are higher in price with a little longer turnaround to me that tells me there quality outweights the price! Remember " the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten
Wald Jager said:
I see by his website info that he is reasonable in price with a fairly short turnaround time. My question to those of you who have used him is in the details. Do the small details like eyes, mouth and ears get the attention to detail. In my opinion these details make the difference between a good mount and a excellent one. I got a big buck last week and looking to get him mounted. I know several good local guys but they are pricey with very long turnaround time.
I emailed him last week but no reply yet. Due to bad hearing I don't like using the phone unless I have to. Anybody know what his hours are at the shop?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JoeSimmons said:
If you have good local guys and they are higher in price with a little longer turnaround to me that tells me there quality outweights the price! Remember " the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten
Wald Jager said:
By your statement you infer that higher price equals better work. Perhaps that is not your intent. One guy local is hi price and a year or more and from what I hear is ok. other guy is hi price and about 9 months to a year and very good. If I wasn't trying to sell my old house, pay for the new house and pay for the needed improvements I would probably use the last guy I mentioned. If I can save a few hundred dollars and get quality work I will and put that money into the house which in the long run ups the value for me. I am not cheap but thrifty, I do pay for quality in many areas,tools, building materials,hunting equipment etc. Right now it's about priorities and the best value for the money. I realize this buck is a once in a lifetime for me and I want to get the best I can afford.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have a suggestion. If you have other priotities at this time that are needing attention, you could take it to a taxidermist, have him skin it cut the antlers off how they need and send the cape to be tanned. Keep the tag and antlers and tanned cape until you can afford to have it mounted. Once the cape is tanned it will last forever. That is just my suggestion.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thumbs up YodelDog827. I couldn't say it better. With the current state of our economy I have run that process for quite a few clients the past few years.
wald jager- congratulations on your trophy. If I can be of any assistance look me up.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YodelDog827 said:
I have a suggestion. If you have other priotities at this time that are needing attention, you could take it to a taxidermist, have him skin it cut the antlers off how they need and send the cape to be tanned. Keep the tag and antlers and tanned cape until you can afford to have it mounted. Once the cape is tanned it will last forever. That is just my suggestion.
If this was my 10th big buck that is certainly a good option. Being my first big buck worthy of more than a skull plate mount,Im sure you understand why I want to have it done. Looks like I'll be saving the overtime money when I get it to help pay for this.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I had him mount a grey fox n a buck for me, drove 2 hours to him and im very pleased with his work! will use him again in future

·
Banned
649 Posts
And you probably have a dozen or more taxidermist within an hours drive or so that would have done the fox just as good or Better, 8 hrs round trip+ fuel costs i don't think you saved any money!
mikethehelopilot said:
He mounted my red fox and it is awesome. I'd drive 4 hours again if I mounted another animal. It was worth the drive.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Full mount fox with Kuntz = $395
Prices I've seen floated on here for full fox= $600-$800.

Avg truck gets 15mpg and let's say he averaged 45mph on the trip(which is fair due to the roads used to get there), he used 3 gallons per hour if driving a full sized truck. 8hrsX3gph=24gallons used X $3/gallon = $72 in fuel IF using a large pickup. Tell me again how he didn't save.........

Congrats on a great deal mikethehelopilot, you can save a lot of money when guys don't tack on overhead for studio setups and memberships to clubs. Maybe this inability to do simple math is why some taxidermists are thriving while others are closing shop. I've seen three relatively close to me close shop up with $600+ shoulder mounts. I would think intelligence would warrant a price drop to try and stay in business instead of cussing out the other guy doing work just as good for a few hundred less or maybe go ask him how he is doing it, peacefully of course. That's the good thing about being an American, you have the RIGHT to set your price just know you will live or die by it. All the animosity on this site toward guys with low prices has actually driven MANY members to these guys according to them, which is justice in itself.

·
Banned
649 Posts
Guess your time sitting in a truck for 8 hrs isn't worth anything either! Running a business the correct way accounting for overhead& such is what's at taxidermist don't understand! ITs a business! Randy kuntz can mojnt all the $395 foxes he wants! Not me though!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Choice is what it is all about. How we come to that choice is ours, thankfully. Opinions are great but you have to consider the source to evaluate properly. I have no opinion either way but I would encourage you to invest your time to personally contact Randy and go view his work and discuss the particulars. Photos are a good start but they can detract from the overall look or enhance it depending on the photographers skill. A visit will go a long way to assure you that his work meets YOUR standards.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Randy does great work for a good price. He has done a full bear mount, whitetail shoulder mount and a exotic ram shoulder mount for me. I couldn't be happier with the work or service. He always is a pleasure to deal with and I have no problem driving the 2 hours to do business with him.

·
Registered
94 Posts
GOD bless the USA. Freedom and choice.
Good luck to all in this thread and be happy with those choices.
I post b/c every time a price is presented, folks with higher prices are blasted. People who can't do simple math. For the few years I have been in the taxidermy business this is the constant fight.
The question I have for some of you is why can't a taxidermy business man charge for his talent, his overhead, his advertising.
If you shop at sheetz a $.50 Hershey bar cost well over a dollar. Buy a bottle of beer at a bar $2.00 when a case only cost $20.
Steak meal at hoss's $10-$15 when Walmart sells a steak for $4.00
Every business charges for overhead, advertising, insurances, etc.

I agree with many of the posts. You the consumer be happy with your choice, be comfortable where you leave your trophy, and congrats and good luck in the field.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I don't think anyone was bashing either of you two other guys in this thread, it's your choice, charge whatever you want. If your charging higher, and getting work, and making enough money, good for you. IF a competitor of you yours is charging less, and doing quality work, what's the problem? Free market.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No problem. I was leaning towards a business question. I applauded all business men and the hunters that are part of this thread. My early comment was a suggestion on trophy managent if the OP felt he wasnt in a position to have his trophy mounted now.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Randy did a shoulder deer mount for me last year. Lives close to me and does great work. I know a number of people that would recommend him.

Here are some close up pics of the mount. Was able to just take these since it is here in my office. Last pic is when I picked it up. Randy also maintains a facebook page where he post pictures of his work.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts