The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a new semi-auto shotgun. I'm looking at the Browning Silver. A little cheaper than a Maxus, just wondering if quality is different? I do see that the receiver is rounded on the Maxus. Number 1 concern is reliability, I beat the crap out of all my guns. Will be mostly used for waterfowl & shooting squirrels out of the treetops. Please no "buy a Benelli" posts, I've wanted a Browning for many years, and this is the year.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I've never owned a silver, but did own a gold for a while. Internals are the same. A friend has been hunting a gold for many years for rabbits and he's not kind to it. But it and try to wear it out, but you probably won't. And yes I am a Benelli fan.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I've never owned a silver, but did own a gold for a while. Internals are the same. A friend has been hunting a gold for many years for rabbits and he's not kind to it. But it and try to wear it out, but you probably won't. And yes I am a Benelli fan.

Sorry, that should read "BUY it and try to wear it out"

Also I owned a maxus for a while, updated action, also good, but the silver shares the same older action as the gold. And if I were to own a Browning again it would be a silver or the newer A5 simply because the square receivers sight better for me.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have a Browning Gold, which I believe is similar. It's a nice gun, but heavy. My only complaint is that it does not pattern well with steel shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Echoing what others have said. My dad has been hunting with a Gold for 15+ yrs. only had it malfunction once in subzero temps because he got water in the butt stock and the spring froze up. Otherwise, he has beat the tar out of that thing for upland and waterfowl with no regrets. I have an SX3, which has very similar guts and am very pleased with it. You won't go wrong with the Browning.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have a Silver Hunter and love it. I bought is as a well priced micro (I think it was called) with availibility to upgrade the stock to adult. I upgraded immediately and Browning put on some absolutely fantastic wood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts