The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my honest opinion 5D and 5C are my favorite, they may not be the best but they hold a lot of deer. I want to hear everyone’s opinion of the best wmu for deer. Both buck size and deer numbers…
Honestly that’s a hard question to answer, a better question would be does your WMU have a good population and big bucks?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I archery hunt 5C and southern 5C plenty of deer, just very boring. I will not fill a buck tag down here anymore just doe tags. My buck tag gets saved for my 3B camp, which is a much more gratifying hunt, and the bucks up there are just as big as the ones in C and D. I passed up a 145 inch buck 2 years ago on opening morning of archery down here and shot the doe he was with. My buddy shot the 145 after Christmas, only cause he still had a buck tag. To be honest, hunting in 5D really is not that much of a challenge.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I archery hunt 5C and southern 5C plenty of deer, just very boring. I will not fill a buck tag down here anymore just doe tags. My buck tag gets saved for my 3B camp, which is a much more gratifying hunt, and the bucks up there are just as big as the ones in C and D. I passed up a 145 inch buck 2 years ago on opening morning of archery down here and shot the doe he was with. My buddy shot the 145 after Christmas, only cause he still had a buck tag. To be honest, hunting in 5D really is not that much of a challenge.
Ya I see what you mean. The only challenge I have is I hunt a 150 acre farm and there are 12 other guys that hunt it really hard. They do drives and walk it all the time. It’s pretty much like a busy game lands LOL.
I see what you mean though, hunting mountains is much more satisfying…

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have places to hunt in 5C Northampton County but I don’t really enjoy them all that much. Deer population is really good but I just can’t get used to hunting so close to people and constantly thinking about where a track job might lead me or who I’m going to have to explain regulations to when they cross paths with me hunting legally but don’t like it. I haven’t had much success there yet but I’m enjoying spending time in the Delaware State Forest in Monroe / Pike Counties in 3D. I haven’t hunted SGL yet but I’m interested in hunting the Blue Mountain in 3D. I was spoiled on a nice chunk of private in 3D my whole life and now I just want solitude even if I’m not very successful.

·
Registered
18,797 Posts
In my honest opinion 5D and 5C are my favorite, they may not be the best but they hold a lot of deer. I want to hear everyone’s opinion of the best wmu for deer. Both buck size and deer numbers…
Honestly that’s a hard question to answer, a better question would be does your WMU have a good population and big bucks?
Tough question. Buck size and deer numbers don't usually go hand in hand. Thus the reason for HR/AR. For overall buck size the SGL would have to have the better soil types to start with and fewer deer living on the better nourishment provided. If I were looking for a starting point I would look in our 4 point APR areas to start. This is only working with the averages for the better places to start. It does not mean these areas are the only areas with large bucks ( antler size) but it means the odds are there are more larger bucks than other areas with lesser soils. I don't hunt for antler size as a main goal so I hunt areas that I enjoy and hope for the best and am happy whit what I get or see.
Areas with higher deer numbers is a more tricky question and it depends on if you trust the information provided by the state or only trust your own eyes. Waugh!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have places to hunt in 5C Northampton County but I don’t really enjoy them all that much. Deer population is really good but I just can’t get used to hunting so close to people and constantly thinking about where a track job might lead me or who I’m going to have to explain regulations to when they cross paths with me hunting legally but don’t like it. I haven’t had much success there yet but I’m enjoying spending time in the Delaware State Forest in Monroe / Pike Counties in 3D. I haven’t hunted SGL yet but I’m interested in hunting the Blue Mountain in 3D. I was spoiled on a nice chunk of private in 3D my whole life and now I just want solitude even if I’m not very successful.
I’m looking for solitude myself… last year I sadly gut hit a deer and it ran into someone’s yard and I went back that night to track it only to find a cop dispatching it… then I shot a buck and it ran onto someone else’s property and the state troopers showed up, I had to explain myself, they were actually really cool.
Not my finest moment and definitely a bad season for me, atleast I shot a buck… but that’s just the joys of suburban hunting, and I’m checked out with it to say the least.

·
Registered
835 Posts
That's way too subjective of a question. I love gun hunting up north, 2G specifically. But that's only because that's where I've got an access point. I'd be happy anywhere in the wilderness with my gun. I've done a fair amount of archery in 4D, 5B and 4A. 5B is by far my least favorite place to hunt. I've got access to an 80 acre farm in an area with a healthy herd but there are treestands within 15 yards of the property line on every side, 2-4 other people hunt the farm at various time and the amish neighbors slaughter most of the bucks every year in gun season. I really enjoyed where I hunted in 4D but even that was a bit too suburban and the other state lands in the middle section of the state aren't really my favorite. 4A is likely where I'll call my second home for the rest of my life. I do love it, but it's nowhere near the "best" WMU in the state.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's way too subjective of a question. I love gun hunting up north, 2G specifically. But that's only because that's where I've got an access point. I'd be happy anywhere in the wilderness with my gun. I've done a fair amount of archery in 4D, 5B and 4A. 5B is by far my least favorite place to hunt. I've got access to an 80 acre farm in an area with a healthy herd but there are treestands within 15 yards of the property line on every side, 2-4 other people hunt the farm at various time and the amish neighbors slaughter most of the bucks every year in gun season. I really enjoyed where I hunted in 4D but even that was a bit too suburban and the other state lands in the middle section of the state aren't really my favorite. 4A is likely where I'll call my second home for the rest of my life. I do love it, but it's nowhere near the "best" WMU in the state.
Ya I should’ve asked everyone’s favorite wmu to hunt haha

1 - 20 of 69 Posts