The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I’m new to hunting and looking to get a climber tree stand that’s affordable. I saw one being sold online for 60 dollars. It looked fine in the picture. However its a 25 year old loggy bayou. Obviously, the age is a little concerning. Just wanted to get some experienced guys opinion on whether or not It could be safe.

thank you!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I still use a loggy that old on occasion. Hug the tree and go up. I don't use the hand climber part. Look it over good. Always use a safety harness. Loggys with metal band and rubber tend to slip on wet smooth bark trees so be careful.

·
Registered
206 Posts
New to hunting and a 25 year old Loggy Bayou? Think of it this way, that stand, likely without instruction manual and you being short on experience, is holding you (and your life) 15-20' in the air. If you were more seasoned, I'd say that Loggy isn't a bad deal at $60, if you know it's short comings and how to use it safely. For instance, does it have the 'Chinese finger lock' rope to secure the seat or a ratchet strap? What condition is the steel tree strap in? If you plan on climbing with it, do you understand how? You will first have to estimate how much smaller in diameter the tree is where you're going to stop than at the base to try to ensure that your platform is level. But, no worries, if you get up and see that the stand isn't level, you just have to climb back down and adjust the tree strap and try again. Your feet will be close to the tree when they are in the bungee straps while you are climbing. DO NOT shift your weight or lean towards the tree getting out of the bungees, or the stand could release. (go ahead, ask me how I know :)) Then, take a giant step backward with your one leg and use your toes to get under the seat and lift it towards the tree. Step over with your other leg and then push the seat the rest of the way against the tree and engage one of the proper 3 ball detents to ensure the seat is against the tree. Attach the 'Chinese finger lock rope' or ratchet strap around the tree at the top of the seat and you should be good to go......until you have to do all of that in reverse and climb down.

That all being said, my Loggy is 28 years old and I just retired it last year, but I had been using it as a hang on stand. IMHO, they are a lot safer in that use than as a climber. It's nice because you can get the platform level while its in the tree and it will hold on the tree as you set your climbing sticks.

Spend some money on a safe, modern climbing stand and use a harness, tie-off and life line while your climbing. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
New to hunting and a 25 year old Loggy Bayou? Think of it this way, that stand, likely without instruction manual and you being short on experience, is holding you (and your life) 15-20' in the air. If you were more seasoned, I'd say that Loggy isn't a bad deal at $60, if you know it's short comings and how to use it safely. For instance, does it have the 'Chinese finger lock' rope to secure the seat or a ratchet strap? What condition is the steel tree strap in? If you plan on climbing with it, do you understand how? You will first have to estimate how much smaller in diameter the tree is where you're going to stop than at the base to try to ensure that your platform is level. But, no worries, if you get up and see that the stand isn't level, you just have to climb back down and adjust the tree strap and try again. Your feet will be close to the tree when they are in the bungee straps while you are climbing. DO NOT shift your weight or lean towards the tree getting out of the bungees, or the stand could release. (go ahead, ask me how I know :)) Then, take a giant step backward with your one leg and use your toes to get under the seat and lift it towards the tree. Step over with your other leg and then push the seat the rest of the way against the tree and engage one of the proper 3 ball detents to ensure the seat is against the tree. Attach the 'Chinese finger lock rope' or ratchet strap around the tree at the top of the seat and you should be good to go......until you have to do all of that in reverse and climb down.

That all being said, my Loggy is 28 years old and I just retired it last year, but I had been using it as a hang on stand. IMHO, they are a lot safer in that use than as a climber. It's nice because you can get the platform level while its in the tree and it will hold on the tree as you set your climbing sticks.

Spend some money on a safe, modern climbing stand and use a harness, tie-off and life line while your climbing. Good luck!
Good advice. With a Loggy, it really depends on the generation and I don't remember when they changed. The older, first generation ones were not very stable when climbing, at some point they became much improved and I have one of those that severed me well for a good number of years. That said, I still like rugerno1's advice. Stands are so much better and lighter these days, and ones life depends on their functioning well.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The age of a stand really means nothing. If you compare the welds on a stand from 30 years ago to a new one today, you'll notice real quick that new stands are obviously welded while blindfolded.

Check any nuts, bolts, chains, cables and replace a necessary.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You should just go buy a new stand and practice with it. Not worth taking a chance with your life. Will cost a little now but will last forever with proper care. One trip to the emergency room would cost more than any stand, if you are lucky enough to survive a fall.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
New stands are super light and easy to carry through the woods. That 25 year old Loggy is not a great buy. Save your $60 and save for a Summit Viper SD as your first climbing stand. It is the easiest to use and perfect for beginners. You will have it for 10+ years easy.

·
Registered
467 Posts

This ... its not so much about the age of the stand as is pointed out above, but being brand new to hunting and brand new to climbing stands & as mentioned before those particular ones had some "quirks". I've been using climbing stands for a number of years now and wouldn't get that particular one unless it was much cheaper AND I planned on just using it as a hang-on in a fixed position for a season and not moving it.

There's brand new Summit Vipers on Amazon right now for $269 & Lone Wolfs for another $100 ... your life is worth the $200. You can usually find them both used in the run up to hunting season as well.

And always use a harness.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Hey all I’m new to hunting and looking to get a climber tree stand that’s affordable. I saw one being sold online for 60 dollars. It looked fine in the picture. However its a 25 year old loggy bayou. Obviously, the age is a little concerning. Just wanted to get some experienced guys opinion on whether or not It could be safe.

thank you!
Hey, dpms has a nice Summit for sale for the same price ($60) right now in the HPA classifieds.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I've used most of the popular climbers, and though expensive, I found Lone Wolf to be best suited to me. Until you're certain you are going to use the stand a lot, probably best starting with a good quality newer (10 years or newer) used stand as opposed to a cheap new stand. Stand design has improved greatly over the past 25 years. DPMS's stand would be a good one, even if shipping doubled the cost.

I've owned Loggys of a similar age, and did not like them....not very stable climbers or in place. I had a Summit Cobra from about the same time frame, and it was much better. I imagine newer Summits are better yet. Once I got a Lone Wolf, I gave those 2 stands away. But I wouldn't want to spend the money on a Lone Wolf until I was sure I was committed.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Buy I used Summit Viper on Craigslist. Forget about that Loggy if its the one with the flat band mine slipped down a wet tree and putting the seat up while hanging off the front is not fun or safe.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Summit you can find them new on sale at many places or in very good condition used

·
Registered
135 Posts
#1 thing to do, always, is practice with your gear. Regardless of the age of gear, you need to know it like the back of your hand. Your setup is for you and only you, so climb with what ever you buy all through the summer. Wear a harness always, learn that side of it too. If you only have 60$ spend get that leggy, after inspecting it of course. Just look for cracks, or any thing broken. Noise isnt really a f a major factor because you can do things, cheap things, to silence the stand. But that also take practice to learn where it needs silenced! You do not have to spend 300 on a modern new stand to kill deer. There is no stand on the market and never has been that is 100% perfect and silent for everyone or every situation. Get what you can afford, learn what you like/need then build your setup from there. You can accomplish alot without having to break the bank! Happy hunting and good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts