The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a new gun very soon and I am thinking on getting the Howa Axiom due to the fact I can shorten it up for the kids when they are ready to go hunting. I also fell in love with the Thumbhole stock Varminter in the grey laminate called "pepper" by Howa. What are your thoughts on the Axiom and the Varminter? Also does anyone have any experience with the Stirling scopes? They seem AWFUL inexpensive for the power of the scopes! Such as 6-24x44 for $265.00. More than Likely I am going to spring for a Nikon or the CDS by Leupold. Let's hear it good or bad!! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
What caliber are you thinking about getting? I've shot both and both are super accurate. Keep in mind their both heavy and will be real heavy for kids. But there a pleasure to shoot. I shot a 22-250 in Axiom and the .223 in the supreme. With the supreme in .223 and its weight you can see your hits nicely. Its been awhile since I shot the Axiom, but that stock does eliminate recoil.

If you have the cash, I'd definately go with Leupy or Nikon. I'm not real impressed with the Niko sterlings.

·
Registered
351 Posts
while the axiom stock is amazing at eliminating recoil, i am yet to find a person that is comfertable shooting it. IF you look at the stock the cheek piece is all the way at the rear of the stock. this becomes a problem when shooting because you wil have to set your scope about 4 inches back that you usually would. I love the design, the gun was accurate, but just uncomfertable to shoot. as far as the 1500 action,, definitly not high end, but man do they shoot!! i would go with the thole varminter

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking 243 for the cal. I have had them before and IMO they are about the best in achieving the "sweet spot" between varmint and deer. Thinking on starting with the 75grain by Remington. My last 243 loved that ammo.

My Parker Cyclone has a similiar stock and I don't mind it at all but for a kid that might be a difference maker. They won't be toting a gun for a long time so weight won't be that much of an issue.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I do not have any experience with the axiom. I have a friend that loves it for woodchucks. But I have had 9 different Howas. I have a 243 and a 270 with the laminate (pepper) stock. I love them both and can tell you that out of the box they are 1/2 inch groupers. The first scopes that were on them were the nikko stirling scopes. For as cheap as you can find them they seemed ok. I actually still have the nikko on the 243. I would not hesitate to take a 200 yard shot with it. But as far as the gun itself they are very good guns IMHO.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a Howa, and I must say, that I do not feel it is a very good gun. It is a Vangaurd factory second. (dont hate me, its exactly what my local gun shop owner told me) I have it in .30-06. I have used almost every ammo through it, as well as handloads. Best group I ever got was a 1.75ish. OK for deer, but I personally like smaller groups. They do not hold their value like a rem 700 or win 70.

As for the nikko sterling scopes, they are ok until you bump them. Then they are garbage. I would opt for the new Redfield Revolution. I just picked one up and wow is it clear and crisp! It tracks perfect. Just my honest opinion on Howas and Nikkos.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
nutshell

Howas are accurate

Nikkos are not worth a second look

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Well your right about your .243 info, like that. scope ??? If your goin both deer and chucks watch high power cause the low end is still high for deer. What ever gun you like is fine but the scope is major part of gun price shouldn't be facter. Bushnell 4200 and up name brands vx3's etc. don't cheap out on scopes. It's like a real nice car or truck with a briggs and straton eng. Good luck with new gun even if it's not a 700 Rem. Ha Ha...later

1 - 9 of 9 Posts