The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a machine for around my 14 acre property. I would say it would get used pretty lightly. I already have tractors, trucks, etc for the hard work. We got my 6 year old a 90cc and she wants a riding buddy. Also, I end up using hers when I just want to go for a quick putz out through the woods/field or check trail cams.
What are you guys opinion on the no-name brand atv/utv's? I'm talking ones like CF Moto, Coolster, Tao Tao, HiSun, etc. Are any of these cheap ones of good quality?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The off-brand atv's around here seem to disappear after a few months. I know of 3= '94 Honda's that are still going strong. I would look for a good used ATV.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Try to find a dealership that can repair it if need be or your on your own and ordering parts off the internet . Best bet is to find a used name brand .

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You have a 6 year old you allow to ride around on an atv without adult supervision?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of price range are you looking to be around?
I wouldn't necessarily say I have a price range. I'm just looking at the cheaper ones because I know it won't get much use. I'm really just trying to match cost with how much value I will get out of it. What I really want is a Polaris Ranger but I'll never get the value out of it compared to how much it will cost.

You have a 6 year old you allow to ride around on an atv without adult supervision?
Nowhere in my post does it say she is unsupervised. Unless you mean being the sole rider on the machine. It has a speed limiter and she can only go about 5 mph. Whether it's the yard or the field I sit down and watch her go in circles. She would have more fun if I was going in circles with her.

·
Super Moderator
6,065 Posts
Stay away from that off brand stuff. Much of it is Chinese cloned knock offs of known brands. Poor quality out the factory door with even worse parts and service follow up. You'll soon forget spending a few more bucks for a Honda, Polaris, Suzuki etc....but you'll remember the money you wasted on a piece of junk for a long time.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I agree, buy a used name brand. The cheap ones have no service and parts behind them, and resale is close to impossible .

Most dealerships will not even take a off brand Chinese machine on trade.....because they are basically junk, and known for problems.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
I know of a dealer that sells the HiSuns that was a Pontiac dealer till GM killed it off.He also sells and sevices used cars.They told me they warranty them and will do whatever repairs are needed and parts are not a problem.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
They want to sell them, so they will tell you service is not a issue.

There is a knock off brand out there that was built to look like the Yamaha Rhino about 7 years ago. Had 2 friends each buy them cuz they were so much cheaper than rhino.
Bunch of us went riding one day. One of them was over heating so bad he had to park it. The other one folded a rim up when we all crossed a creek.
I had tools with me to get tire/rim off machine, and I gave him my machine to ride back to the farm and take a tire off the other broken machine.
When he got back with my Rhino, he said there was absolutely no comparing the 2 machines for ride or performance.

Both those knock offs were brand new, and they had nothing but trouble with them. Dealer would not help, and they basically had to all but give them away to sell them. Both of them then went out and bought name brand machines.

Have yet another friend who bought one of them. went through about 4 starters and endless wiring issues. It was broke more than it ran, and he only used to for yard work, never went trail riding or used it hard. He also had to all but give it away to sell it.

My Rhino is a 2006, still going strong. I have put one cv joint in it, cuz boot got torn on a ride and it got water in it. ( wife machine, and she uses it harder than me...lol) Have not had any other issues with it. I also had a 2007 rhino which I never put a dime into for repairs. I sold that machine this summer, as I also have a Can Am commander, and don't need 3 machines.

To be honest, I kept the commander because its new and I have a snowplow for it, but I should have just stuck with the 2 rhinos. Nothing against the Can Am, but the rhinos did all I wanted a machine to do.

By the way, I got $7,500 out of my rhino. I paid some where around $9,000 for it new, used it for 10 years, never put a dime in it other than oil change, so it only cost me about $1,500 to own it 10 years.

My friends who bought the cheap ones paid around $6,000 (if I remember correctly) and sold them for around $3,000 a year later, and they were broke most of the year they had them.

·
Registered
698 Posts
yes a good used one would be the way to go, off of the original buyer or friend if you can. I have two that are good to go a yamaha and a Polaris. eastbank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts