The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a concealed carry pistol. S&W Bodyguard .38 is the one I'm leaning towards but would like other opinions. Also like the Kimber solo CDP although that seems like a lot of money to pay for an everyday carry pistol.
Thank you.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You mean an everyday carry pistol that might just save your life one day?
The best gun for one person may not be the best for another. Things to consider are, does it fit your hand, can it be concealed comfortably in a place where you can access it quickly, can you shoot it well and is it dependable?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...one of those.. that could save my life someday. I guess the best thing to do is go handle a few and see which one feels best. Just wanted opinions as to which ones you guys liked.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Look Up Bond Arms "USA Defender" , Its a 2 Shot Derringer 45 & 410 , replaceable barrels available , very easy to conceal Oh....it will save Your Life . Comes with an engraved barrel and Leather Holster .$489.00

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
What you are going to get from a question like this is every responder giving you the name of the gun they carry, not what may be best for you. If you take the responses as simply a list of guns to check out, instead of the best gun to carry it will give you a starting point to research from. I know people who carry perfectly good, great quality firearms, but they don't fit my needs. I have two go to carry guns, what I am wearing, dictates which one I carry.

·
Super Moderator
4,620 Posts
The most important thing about a carry gun is not size,caliber,weight or how it fits or feels.Is it dependable no matter the cost?If it won't work at the time you need it all the rest means nothing.I carry a full size Glock 45 cal.I am willing to deal with the added weight for the added shots.Most people wouldn't like to carry it.Most people don't like auto pistols.I do as long as they are a quality firearm and have been range tested a few hundred rounds of the ammo you will use.With an auto you can carry a spare mag that can be loaded faster than a revolver even with a speed loader.Good luck I hope you find one that suits your needs.Just take your time and don't get excited over a new toy.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
My Browning Hi-Power 9 suits me just fine. Have a CZ 97B 45acp but a lil too bulky.

·
Registered
485 Posts
just remember that if it is not easy and comfortable to carry it starts to be left home. the firearm does not help if it is at home in the safe.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I carry a Kel-Tec 380. I use a Pocket Holster and in an emergency situation I am not sure I could get it out in time?? Suppose it depends on the situation.Best advice I`ve gotten is to be aware of what`s going on around you. Rely on your instincts. Best carry Weapon, try them all out and find one that fits your Hand and is comfortable to carry.

·
Registered
66 Posts
jayson said:
ruger lcp is my favorite to carry, i forget its in my pocket and i can carry it virtually anytime no matter what im wearing
I agree with that, great gun to carry in summer when you dont have a jacket or sweatshirt on. It helps to have a nice load like the Hornady critical defense ready to go down the pipe. In the colder months I like to carry my S&W model 60 in 357.

That said there are as many answers to your original question as there are guns.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
My first name is James! It would be James's Bond!
I use it every chance I get in the outdoors! A bond 45/410 3 incher!
I will dispatch fox, protect you from both 4 and 2 legged critters.
You can get all kinds of ammo for it to: birdshot, shotgun fine shot, buckshot, shotgun slugs, 45 target, and 45 long Colt 180 grain bear loads!

·
Registered
180 Posts
IMHO I would go to your LGS and look aat the Handguns you like and can afford, I carry either a FS 1911 or Colt Detective Special............

Clyde

·
Registered
962 Posts
Jeff,
you asked the Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota question...

It must fit you, be reliable, and easy for you to carry comfortably.

Some guys will go on and on about caliber and capacity but the reality is it has to be individual to you.

Any gun is better than no gun when you need a gun.

A 5 shot pocket revolver in .38 is enough for some while others take a full size 1911 in .45 and everything else in between.

Are you gonna be a pocket man or a holster man?

wheel gun or auto loader?

there are tons of trade offs in size, capacity, caliber, concealability, reliability etc...

My advice is shoot everything that you can and pick up and fondle/holster/pocket all that you can till you find the happy medium for you.

Have fun and let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
fallscity1 said:
Jeff,
you asked the Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota question...

It must fit you, be reliable, and easy for you to carry comfortably.

Some guys will go on and on about caliber and capacity but the reality is it has to be individual to you.

Any gun is better than no gun when you need a gun.

A 5 shot pocket revolver in .38 is enough for some while others take a full size 1911 in .45 and everything else in between.

Are you gonna be a pocket man or a holster man?

wheel gun or auto loader?

there are tons of trade offs in size, capacity, caliber, concealability, reliability etc...

My advice is shoot everything that you can and pick up and fondle/holster/pocket all that you can till you find the happy medium for you.

Have fun and let us know what you end up with!
+1 on this advise and the general advice you already have from others. My personal preference, and what I practice with, is a Taurus 85 Ultralite 5-shot .38 Special with Crimson Trace laser grip and low-recoil ammo. I prefer a simple small double-action revolver concealable in a pocket holster or belt holster. I do carry an extra speedloader and I practice using it.

I hope I never have to use it for self-defense, but if I do, the laser grip let's me put the dot on target and squeeze the trigger without worrying about flipping off a safety or finding my sight picture in low-light conditions.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Here is my lousy 0.02$....

LCP/Body Guard/Keltec (or other 380acp) makes a great pocket summer pistol, 2-300.00$ gun. You going to get a 'decent' trigger, gun the size of your I-Phone or wallet, lousy sights and 6-7 rounds of ammo in your gun. Your not going to stop 7 criminals at 25 yards, but your going to have a gun that going to end the threat for one or two criminals that are 5 yards or closer.

M/P shield and other sub-compact single stack 9mm you get a nicer trigger, better sights, bigger grip, more weight and 1-150$ more. You still get the slim carry lines but more accuracy and fire power. These make excellent IWB (Maxtuck, crossbreed, summer comfort) guns. You get less chance that your pocket holster 'fails' and you pull your pocket gun out with the holster on the gun. Your wearing longer/baggier shirts in hopes your not printing on your pistol.

Compact M/P, Glocks, Sig your getting a nicer trigger, better sights, bigger grip, more weight and 1-150$ more. Now your into night sights, gun rails, longer shots, 10-19 rounds of ammo.

IMO you need to pick how you want to carry, pocket, IWB, ankle or other and then judge your body type and typical clothing you wear when your going to carry. Match your ability to hide the gun on you and then buy the gun size from there.

2 bullets out of a 'cheap' 22lr derringer is better than riding in the bus with multiple slugs in your chest from a car jacking gone bad knowing you have pistols at home in the safe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts