The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to go from old heavy 1100 12 gauge to 20g. semi
auto. i only hunt upland/grouse pheasant, some squirrel and bunny. probabaly 4-10 days afield a year. average a hundred or so skeet/trap a year. i weighed my 1100, due to shoulder and wrist pain last year, and its almost ten pounds. so i started looking around and saw some around 5 to 6 lbs. wow i thought. got to get one.. which one?? ideas anyone?? i do alot of my hunting/hiking in forest co. weight loss is a good thing! please let me have it... price verses quality?? way to much out there. smith and wessons on gunbroker for $320.. benelli ultra light for like $1200!!! ???? tristar for $340.. please HELP...... oh, and a local gun dealer has a used franchi vs620 for $470. is that high?? Thanks Jim

·
Registered
25,493 Posts
1100LTs in 20ga are great little shotguns. My huntin' bud had an 1100LT in both 12ga and 20ga. Carried his 20ga quite a few times for small game.

Only problem, they are fairly hard to find and not cheap.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I would look at these:
Benelli ultralight or montefeltro
Winchester SX3 is now available in 20
Beretta urika 2 or 391
Franchi 720 or AL-48

Also you might want to keep in mind the way guns are now being made most of these in the 12 ga versions still only hover around the 7lb mark or less, so you might want to look at the 12 gauges also, still a 3lb drop from what you have now. In 12 ga you could add the Browning maxus and benelli M2 to the list. Since these have a different feel you'd have to see what fits you best and go with that one. Budget withstanding.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Can't ever go wrong with a Beretta
390, 391 or even a 302
I have a DU edition of the 302 in 20ga, fits and shoots well

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input!! i had to go with the tristar.. price was unreal. paid 210 out the door. shot a half box out of it so far. not to bad.. under 6lbs. it is a model viper 20g. will shoot some more and post again soon..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, shot a hundred rounds through it this afternoon. Various loads and chokes.. flawless performance.. couldn`t hardly tell any difference with the three chokes that come with it.. that would probably be me, not the chokes.. taking it out for grouse tommorrow. love the finish on it..

·
Registered
859 Posts
I picked up a lightly used Browning Gold Hunter 20ga. a couple years ago. Perfect for what you want. Look around for a good used one.When it comes to auto-shotguns I generally stick to the three B's...Browning,Beretta,Benelli

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Hey, if you are like me you carry far more than you shoot. My shotguns normally see less than a box a year unless my 20 see's the bunny fields during winter. It normally does. Then it's a few boxes.

I have the same gun as you (1100 12 gauge). I hate that gun. To darn heavy. Wouldn't be bad if it were more centralized, but it seems to be barrel heavy. After about a mile or so of walking I want to leave it in the woods. I only take it out every 4-5 years only because I feel guilty for not using it.

I would like to hear more on the shotgun you got. I would like a nice light semi 20. Maybe it's because I've been using the same savage 20 gauge pump since I was 11 (now 34), and it was used when I got it. Plus the choke in my gun is too tight.

·
Registered
378 Posts
ratgunner said:
I picked up a lightly used Browning Gold Hunter 20ga. a couple years ago. Perfect for what you want. Look around for a good used one.When it comes to auto-shotguns I generally stick to the three B's...Browning,Beretta,Benelli
I like the three B's, I think they will be the lightest and provide the best quality. I don't have a Beretta or Benelli yet, but do I like my older 1963 Browning A5 20 ga. I picked up some years ago used. It weighs less than 6 1/2 lbs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took it out for the opener of grouse today. 17 flushes by noon and no birds in the bag. carried great. good balance. got 3 shot and they were severely rushed. just couldnt get in the right opening. gun performed well. shot acouple of boxes of skeet throught it friday night. all good..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts