The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys got a chance today to get out and set-up the “trap” to catch the snowshoe hare who left the tracks I found all over this deadfall last week. Operation Showshoe is now undeway.
Here is the deadfall that runs right along the last drop above the creekbottom. The aspen deadfall I talked about in my other thread had runoff running around it so I decided to use this old birch trunk as his trail ran along there too. The melfoff had removed the visible run but I am hoping the food source there will have him coming on back thru.

For bait I brought in some alfalfa hay and tucked it in a hole in the base of a tree, then surrounded it by some of the apple tree trimmings from last week.

I set up two cameras, one close to the bait and on 30 second video mode, in beech on the left, and then another looking over the entire area from about 15-20’ away. That one is in 3 pic mode.

I was a little disappointed that with yesterday’s fresh snow on top of the old there were no tracks around, but several times in set-up I could smell the alfalfa so I am hopeful if he is still there he will stop. One other point against us (perhaps) is that the south slope across the creek has several bare spots so I am not sure if he will head over there for the easier eating.
Anyway Operation Showshoe is On as of noon today. Also, the prospects for a drummer cam this spring look good as I flushed 5 on my short hike.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Be vewy, vewy quiet.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would not try to get a limit there, I just want a pic of the one that was hanging in there last week. I am likely going to have to wait til Saturday to find out.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nada...HOWEVER i saw his tracks down where I browse cut Saturday so i set the cam up on the new food source. I laid down, about 12 maples.

It HAS to be a snowshoe or the neighbors big bunny got loose...LOL

·
Administrator
14,141 Posts
RB-HPA said:
Nada...HOWEVER i saw his tracks down where I browse cut Saturday so i set the cam up on the new food source. I laid down, about 12 maples.

It HAS to be a snowshoe or the neighbors big bunny got loose...LOL

Maybe those tracks belong to the critter that delivers the colored eggs? Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts