The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-style: italic">"This operation is not being planned with any alternatives. This operation is planned as a victory, and that's the way it's going to be. We're going down there, and we're throwing everything we have into it, and we're going to make it a success."
--General Dwight D. Eisenhower</span>

Victory came, but with a cost. Never forget what these brave men accomplished.

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
When I watch documentaries about that day I think, "those were the bravest men on the planet."

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Bates said:
Strong men, strong leaders, stronger values.
I always chuckle about the story of incoming freshman at the University of Georgia in 1946. Picture this...a auditorium full of vets being told, by a little 4F of a kid with a high squeaky voice, that because of tradition they would be required to wear a beanie. A deep raspy voice booming from the balcony announced in a not so friendly language....tradition can take a flying leap.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The Greatest Generation. I worked on a farm as a teenager many years ago, the farmer was such a quiet, gentle person, never mentioned his time in the service, let alone that he was in the first wave to hit the beach at Normandy. When I watch films or read books of the accounts of that day, it puts a chill down your spine and brings a tear to your eyes. Thank You all brave soldiers for changing the course of history.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
A local fellow was on Omaha. He said his footprints were a long ways apart. He got hit and would tell about the medics trying to work on him that day.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
RonM said:
My dad was one of the lucky ones, he made it home after being in the Battle of the Bulge..
My wife's grandfather was taken prisoner during the Bulge. My father's unit linked with the Russians at the Elb.

Ever wonder how much history we had available to us when we were kids? Might make a good thread...share stories told to us. Keep the memory alive.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
My great uncle retired a Command Sgt/ Major and fought in WWII, Korea and Vietnam.. He was wounded pretty severely in France during WWII . I asked him one time about his experience in WWII. When I asked him where he was wounded, (meaning what battle), he said, "All over". By the way he answered, I knew that was the end of the conversation. That was the closest he ever came to talking to me about it. I remember stopping to visit and there would be small pieces of shrapnel in his ashtray which had worked their way to the surface. He would just remark, "Found another little present from Jerry today". It wasn't until his funeral we learned he was awarded a Bronze Star and Silver Star.

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
Had an uncle who I was real close to but never knew he was part of the Bataan Death march until his death 3 years ago and the priest giving his eulogy said how the date of his release from this world coincided with the anniversary of his release from the Japanese.
Even knowing I was at USNB Subic several times he never mentioned he ever was in the neighborhood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts